Stall 40 at Pimlico, usually reserved for the Kentucky Derby winner, is instead occupied by New York-bred Zetterholm, who comes into the Preakness with as little fanfare as any starter in the 11-horse field.
Franny Freud, a top 3-year-old filly and 5-2 morning-line favorite for the Aug. 7 Test Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course, will miss the race with a career-ending ligament injury.
Odds-on choice Franny Freud, ridden by Garrett Gomez, rallied four wide on the turn to register her first grade I victory in the Prioress Stakes at Belmont Park July 4.
Trainer John Terranova swept both ends of the New York Stallion Stakes at Belmont Park on May 2 with a pair of favorites, Franny Freud and General Maximus.
Ramon Dominguez hustled Wishful Tomcat to the early lead in the Discovery Handicap and they never looked back, the duo leading every step of the way in posting a 1 3/4-length victory on Aqueduct's main track.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- Suffolk Downs Applies for Six 2017 Race Dates
- NYRA Sanctioned for Aqueduct Water Pollution
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- New Santa Anita Turf Course Passes First Test