Veteran New England jockey Winston Thompson recorded the 3,000th win of his career, guiding African Angel to victory in the eighth race at Suffolk Downs Sept. 21.
Nijinsky Bullet, a four-time winner at Suffolk Downs last year, was named the recipient of the 2008 James B. Moseley Horse of the Year Award by the New England Turf Writers Association at its 67th Annual Awards Dinner July 16 at the Danversport Yacht Club in Danvers, Mass.
The New England Turf Writers Association has selected its champions and award winners for 2008.
Suffolk Downs wrapped up its 2008 racing season with declines in live wagering and attendance and an increase in all-sources handle, track officials announced Nov. 13.
The 80th season of live Thoroughbred racing at Tampa Bay Downs opens Dec. 10 with changes aimed at impressing racing fans, including bigger payouts on exacta, daily double, quinella, pick 3, and pick 4 wagering. The track's 26 stakes races will be run for more than $2.3 million.
Suffolk Downs' leading rider, Jamaican native Winston Thompson, reached another career milestone Tuesday. In garnering a wire-to-wire victory aboard 1-2 favorite Sundance Shamrock in the third race for owner/trainer Tim Kirby, Thompson reached the 2,500 victory mark in his 19-year career.
Jockey Winston Thompson won six races on Saturday's 11-event program at Suffolk Downs, including the featured $50,000 Old Ironsides Breeders' Cup Stakes on the turf course aboard Live Oak Plantation's Miesque's Approval.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah 'Just Cruising' in Workout
- White Filly Beautiful Devil Carries Tradition
- Optimism High for Fasig-Tipton July Yearlings
- Espinoza Tied in World's Best Jock Standings
- Horse Greeley Sold to Stand in Argentina
- Speedy Grade III Winner Chitu Retired
- Two 'Super Saturdays' for Belmont Fall Meet
- Kentucky Horsewoman Graves Dies at 61
- Keeneland Alters September Sale Format
- New York Coupled Entry Rules Modified