Sprinter Speedy Falcon, making her first start around two turns, got loose on the front end and ran her foes ragged in the stretch, romping home in the $260,193 WinStar Sunland Park Oaks in New Mexico by six lengths.
Trainer Bob Baffert has two live Kentucky Derby (gr. I) prospects in Wimbeldon and Preachinatthebar, and now the white-haired trainer is searching for his Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) starter. On top of his Oaks list is Yearly Report, who will face nine rivals in Saturday's $250,000 WinStar/Sunland Park Oaks.
Everest Stables' homebred Island Fashion picked a nice spot to break her maiden Saturday, winning the inaugural $250,000 WinStar Sunland Park Oaks in New Mexico with a powerful stretch run.
Saturday's $256,400 WinStar Sunland Park Oaks at one mile drew a top notch field of nine runners to the New Mexico oval.
Among the trainers sending horses to New Mexico this weekend are Steve Asmussen and Ted West.
Fueled with revenue from slot machines, the richest live racing season in the historyof Sunland Park Race Track and Casino begins Nov. 19. The 80-day meet, which continues through April 6, 2003, will have all-time record purse distribution of $16 million. Average daily purses at the track just west of El Paso, Texas, should exceed $200,000.
Most Popular Stories
- Gun Runner Powers to Easy Stephen Foster Win
- Paco Lopez Sent to Hospital After Paddock Accident
- McCraken Back to His Old Self in Matt Winn
- Heavy Rain Forces Belmont Park Cancellation
- Forever Unbridled Makes Triumphant Return
- Sircat Sally Remains Undefeated With Honeymoon Win
- Kasaqui Ends Six-Race Skid With Decisive Wise Dan Score
- Faypien Edges Mopotism in Summertime Oaks
- Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs
- Unique Bella Nears Return to Training