Favored Sky Mom overcame a stewards' inquiry and jockey objection to win the $200,000 WinStar Sunland Park Oaks in come-from-behind fashion by 4 3/4 lengths in New Mexico March 16.
Sweet Fourty, the 7-10 favorite in Saturday's $250,000 WinStar/Sunland Park Oaks for 3-year-old fillies, had to battle through the stretch before scoring a half-length victory under Victor Espinoza.
Sprinter Speedy Falcon, making her first start around two turns, got loose on the front end and ran her foes ragged in the stretch, romping home in the $260,193 WinStar Sunland Park Oaks in New Mexico by six lengths.
Football legend and television commentator Terry Bradshaw will host the 2004 WinStar Gala at Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino on March 27. Joe Thiesmann was previously slated to host the event but had to cancel due to ESPN obligations.
Saturday's $256,400 WinStar Sunland Park Oaks at one mile drew a top notch field of nine runners to the New Mexico oval.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Castellano Scores Fourth Straight Eclipse as Top Jockey
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Beholder Goes Out a Champion, Earns Fourth Eclipse
- California Chrome Named Champion Older Dirt Male
- Still in Tune, Songbird Earns Second Straight Eclipse
- Finest City Dazzles in Santa Monica
- Champagne Room Earns Toast as Champion 2-Year-Old Filly
- Arrogate, Flintshire Power Juddmonte to Owner Eclipse