The unbeaten Afleet Alex, who demolished a deep field in Saratoga's Sanford (gr. II) on the second day of the meet, breezed a 'bullet' half-mile over a muddy track at Delaware Park this morning in :46 2/5.
Afleet Alex remained unbeaten in three starts with an impressive 5 1/4-length victory in Thursday's Sanford Stakes (gr. II) at Saratoga. The 2-year-old Northern Afleet colt set a stakes record in the process, running the six furlongs in 1:09.32. The previous record, 1:09 2/5, was set by Elocutionist.
Winning Expression passed favorite Primal Storm in midstretch, but longshot Gold Joy flew down the outside of the lane to pass them both, winning the $104,900 Tremont Stakes at Belmont Park Saturday.
Keith Asmussen's Primal Storm dominated a field of 2-year-olds to win Friday's $106,300 Flash Stakes (gr. III) at five furlongs at Belmont Park.
Five 2-year-old colts, each going for their second win, will take to the track under 115 pounds for the 104th Flash Stakes (gr. III) at Belmont Park Friday June 4.
A pair of juveniles from the barn of trainer Steve Asmussen head a list of 15 2-year-olds nominated tothe $125,000-added Kentucky Breeders' Cup (gr.III) on June 5.
Western Expression, who stands for $10,000 at Highcliff Farm near Delanson, N.Y., was represented by his first winner when his son Winning Expression won May 6 at Belmont Park.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be 'Rough' on 'Chrome'
- Unbeaten Materiality Secures Florida Derby
- Mubtaahij Easily Earns Kentucky Derby Spot
- International Star Sweeps to LA Derby Score
- Champion Groupie Doll Delivers Premature Foal
- I'm a Chatterbox Notches Easy FG Oaks Victory
- Birdatthewire Tops Familiar Rivals in GP Oaks
- Dortmund Logs Final Work for SA Derby