Joseph V. Fields Jr.'s homebred mare Any Limit hit the winner's circle for the first time in nearly 17 months July 4 at Belmont, getting the early jump on six rivals, then holding off Wild Gams in a determined stretch drive to narrowly win the $150,000 First Flight Handicap (gr. II).
Leah's Secret emerged from the pack mid-stretch and held off fellow outsider Vestrey Lady to win the $300,000 Lexus Raven Run (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies, creating some huge payoffs at Keeneland Saturday.
Most of the horses running in the Sunshine Millions stakes are stabled in South Florida or Southern California, but the probable favorite for the $250,000 Ocala Stud Oaks at six furlongs will arrive by van from Ocala.
Sierra Sweetie, under Victor Espinoza pressed the pace to the quarter pole and went on to an impressive three-length win in Wednesday's $125,000 added California Breeders' Champion Stakes for 2-year-old fillies at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Resilient Humor Debut Winner for Sassy Image
- Retired Valet Ward Dies in Kentucky
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Aqueduct Announcers Bring Youth, Experience
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Ferndale Racetrack OK After Earthquake