Favored Hogy captured the $250,000 Presque Isle Mile Sept. 8 with a late burst, winning for the third time in his past four starts.
Hogy pounced on the leaders coming out of the turn and took command in the stretch to register his first graded stakes win with an 8-1 upset in the $150,000 Hanshin Cup Stakes (gr. III) May 25 at Arlington Park.
Stakes winner Mr. Mabee was represented by his first winner when his son Mabeemore won at Hoosier Park Oct. 6 in his first start.
Trainer Larry Rivelli, who had a two-win advantage over conditioner Scott Becker entering the closing day of the 2011 Arlington Park season Sept. 25, officially earned his first trainer championship at the Chicago-area track.
Front-running Racing Bran, thanks to a heady ride from Chris Emigh, ran away from odds-on choice Win Willy and the rest of the field in the $100,000 Essex Handicap at Oaklawn Park Feb. 6.
Stalking Proceed Bee collared odds-on choice Parade Clown mid-stretch and inched away in the final strides for a 1 1/4-length win in the $100,000 John Battaglia Memorial Stakes at Turfway Park Feb. 28.
Going into the $100,000 Miss Preakness Stakes (gr. III), the question for Palanka City was whether the black-type winner could step up to graded competition. At odds of 1-2, it was a question the Terry Gestes trainee answered with an emphatic "yes" at muddy Pimlico May 16.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- Ritvo to Receive Lou Smith Memorial Award
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams