Back home at rainy Woodbine, Canadian Horse of the Year Up With the Birds found his missing explosive kick to win the $220,229 Nijinsky Stakes (gr. IIT) going away July 19 on the turf.
Sky Conqueror was represented by his first winner when Regal Conqueror posted a debut victory on Sept.7 in the third race at Woodbine, a maiden special weight.
William Sorokolit's Sky Conqueror caught Brilliant in the final jumps of the May 5 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT) at Churchill Downs to take the $500,000-added turf contest for 3-year-olds and up by head.
On a rainy day in Toronto, Sky Conqueror rallied stoutly down the stretch to catch the pacesetting Last Answer and capture the inaugural edition of the $615,653 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup Turf (Can-II) by a half-length at Woodbine on Sunday.
Union Place, a graded stakes winning son of Out of Place, has been retired and will stand at owner William Sorokolit Sr.'s Silver Duck Stable in King City, Ontario, Canada.
Woodbine's leading rider, Emma-Jayne Wilson, celebrated the first stakes victory of her career, guiding 7-1 shot Classic Stamp to a successful title defense in the 1 1/8-mile $316,536 Bell Canadian Stakes (Can-II) for fillies and mares.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Study: Boots, Wraps Increase Leg Heat during Exercise
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster
- Cary Street Rides Rail to Greenwood Surprise
- Fall Meet at Los Alamitos Begins Sept. 5
- Protonico Surges in Smarty Jones for Pletcher
- Ring Weekend at Home on Turf in Saranac Win
- Belmont Fall Championship Meet Opens Sept. 5