Back home at rainy Woodbine, Canadian Horse of the Year Up With the Birds found his missing explosive kick to win the $220,229 Nijinsky Stakes (gr. IIT) going away July 19 on the turf.
Sky Conqueror was represented by his first winner when Regal Conqueror posted a debut victory on Sept.7 in the third race at Woodbine, a maiden special weight.
William Sorokolit's Sky Conqueror caught Brilliant in the final jumps of the May 5 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT) at Churchill Downs to take the $500,000-added turf contest for 3-year-olds and up by head.
On a rainy day in Toronto, Sky Conqueror rallied stoutly down the stretch to catch the pacesetting Last Answer and capture the inaugural edition of the $615,653 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup Turf (Can-II) by a half-length at Woodbine on Sunday.
Union Place, a graded stakes winning son of Out of Place, has been retired and will stand at owner William Sorokolit Sr.'s Silver Duck Stable in King City, Ontario, Canada.
Woodbine's leading rider, Emma-Jayne Wilson, celebrated the first stakes victory of her career, guiding 7-1 shot Classic Stamp to a successful title defense in the 1 1/8-mile $316,536 Bell Canadian Stakes (Can-II) for fillies and mares.
Most Popular Stories
- Carpe Diem Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Jazdzewski Landed Young Far Right for $2,500
- Madefromlucky Officially Out of KY Derby
- Derby 'Todd Squad' Breezes at Churchill
- Storm Washes Away Texas Mile at Lone Star
- Shared Belief Recovering at Golden Gate
- Prince Bishop, African Story Retired
- Derby Jockey Walker Influenced Breeders
- Keeneland Spring Handle Figures Down
- Record Average for OBS Spring Sale