Back home at rainy Woodbine, Canadian Horse of the Year Up With the Birds found his missing explosive kick to win the $220,229 Nijinsky Stakes (gr. IIT) going away July 19 on the turf.
Sky Conqueror was represented by his first winner when Regal Conqueror posted a debut victory on Sept.7 in the third race at Woodbine, a maiden special weight.
William Sorokolit's Sky Conqueror caught Brilliant in the final jumps of the May 5 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT) at Churchill Downs to take the $500,000-added turf contest for 3-year-olds and up by head.
On a rainy day in Toronto, Sky Conqueror rallied stoutly down the stretch to catch the pacesetting Last Answer and capture the inaugural edition of the $615,653 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup Turf (Can-II) by a half-length at Woodbine on Sunday.
Union Place, a graded stakes winning son of Out of Place, has been retired and will stand at owner William Sorokolit Sr.'s Silver Duck Stable in King City, Ontario, Canada.
Woodbine's leading rider, Emma-Jayne Wilson, celebrated the first stakes victory of her career, guiding 7-1 shot Classic Stamp to a successful title defense in the 1 1/8-mile $316,536 Bell Canadian Stakes (Can-II) for fillies and mares.
Most Popular Stories
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- The Big Beast Gets a Florida-Bred Colt as First Foal