Back home at rainy Woodbine, Canadian Horse of the Year Up With the Birds found his missing explosive kick to win the $220,229 Nijinsky Stakes (gr. IIT) going away July 19 on the turf.
Sky Conqueror was represented by his first winner when Regal Conqueror posted a debut victory on Sept.7 in the third race at Woodbine, a maiden special weight.
William Sorokolit's Sky Conqueror caught Brilliant in the final jumps of the May 5 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (gr. IT) at Churchill Downs to take the $500,000-added turf contest for 3-year-olds and up by head.
On a rainy day in Toronto, Sky Conqueror rallied stoutly down the stretch to catch the pacesetting Last Answer and capture the inaugural edition of the $615,653 Northern Dancer Breeders' Cup Turf (Can-II) by a half-length at Woodbine on Sunday.
Union Place, a graded stakes winning son of Out of Place, has been retired and will stand at owner William Sorokolit Sr.'s Silver Duck Stable in King City, Ontario, Canada.
Woodbine's leading rider, Emma-Jayne Wilson, celebrated the first stakes victory of her career, guiding 7-1 shot Classic Stamp to a successful title defense in the 1 1/8-mile $316,536 Bell Canadian Stakes (Can-II) for fillies and mares.
Most Popular Stories
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Texas Bling Retired to Stud
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled
- Connect in Good Shape After PA Derby Win
- BH 100: Shooting Star