Synthetic track tyro Greg's Gold took the overland route to victory in the $200,000 Potrero Grande Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita April 5, outfighting even-money favorite Surf Cat by 1 3/4 lengths despite closing from four paths wide on the turn.
Grade I winning sprinter Greg's Gold returned from an absence of more than 18 months to win a $78,120 allowance event over four rivals at Santa Anita Sunday.
Greg's Gold, making his stakes debut for trainer David Hofmans, captured the $300,000 Bing Crosby Handicap (gr. I) as favored Pico Central faded to finish last at Del Mar Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Werther Goes the Distance in Hong Kong
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Tapwrit Works Toward Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double