Divine Fortune, the Eclipse Award-winning champion steeplechase horse of 2013, started a successful defense of his title May 10, winning the Iroquois Stakes (NSA-I) at Percy Warner Park in Nashville, Tenn.
Talk about a wide-open category: the Steeplechase division of the 2013 Eclipse Awards appears to be anybody's ballgame as no single jumper landed more than one grade I event during the season.
- By Vic Zast
Fans of the sport's biggest and least noticed stars express 'That's Amore.' Read Blog
Trainer Jonathan Sheppard and owner William Pape kept their perfect meet record intact when Sermon of Love came from off the pace to win the $100,000 New York Turf Writers Cup (NSA-I) steeplechase Aug. 26 at Saratoga.
William Pape's 10-year-old won A.P. Smithwick 'Chase (NSA-I) at Saratoga, then finished season with big win in the Colonial Cup (NSA-I)
Mixed Up rallied through the stretch after taking the final hurdle and went on to a half-length victory over Preemptive Strike in the $105,723 A.P. Smithwick Memorial Steeplechase (NSA-I) at Saratoga Race Course Aug. 6.
William L. Pape's hurdler Mixed Up caught Paradise's Boss with less than a sixteenth of a mile remaining and then held off fast-closing Good Night Shirt to win the $159,125 Royal Chase for the Sport of Kings (NSA-I) in a three-horse photo finish Friday at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- NY Investigation of Asmussen Case Completed
- NYRA Unveils 10-Race Claiming Series
- New York Sanctions Mott for Drug Overages
- National HBPA Sets Convention Agenda
- Racing Investigators to Meet in NJ in March
- 'Chrome' Set for San Antonio, Bayern Doubtful
- TCA to Present Awards of Merit
- 74-Year-Old Horseplayer Wins 2015 NHC Title
- Flashy Debut for Royal Delta Half Brother