Divine Fortune, the Eclipse Award-winning champion steeplechase horse of 2013, started a successful defense of his title May 10, winning the Iroquois Stakes (NSA-I) at Percy Warner Park in Nashville, Tenn.
Talk about a wide-open category: the Steeplechase division of the 2013 Eclipse Awards appears to be anybody's ballgame as no single jumper landed more than one grade I event during the season.
- By Vic Zast
Fans of the sport's biggest and least noticed stars express 'That's Amore.' Read Blog
Trainer Jonathan Sheppard and owner William Pape kept their perfect meet record intact when Sermon of Love came from off the pace to win the $100,000 New York Turf Writers Cup (NSA-I) steeplechase Aug. 26 at Saratoga.
William Pape's 10-year-old won A.P. Smithwick 'Chase (NSA-I) at Saratoga, then finished season with big win in the Colonial Cup (NSA-I)
Mixed Up rallied through the stretch after taking the final hurdle and went on to a half-length victory over Preemptive Strike in the $105,723 A.P. Smithwick Memorial Steeplechase (NSA-I) at Saratoga Race Course Aug. 6.
William L. Pape's hurdler Mixed Up caught Paradise's Boss with less than a sixteenth of a mile remaining and then held off fast-closing Good Night Shirt to win the $159,125 Royal Chase for the Sport of Kings (NSA-I) in a three-horse photo finish Friday at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Features 201 Pre-Entered Horses
- Sherman Sees California Chrome Bouncing Back
- Keeneland-Based Horses are BC Bound
- Dimension Looking to Improve in Turf Sprint
- Top 3-Year-Olds Abound in BC Classic
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Complete Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries
- Departing Heads Hagyard Fayette Field
- Tampa Bay Releases 2014-2015 Stakes Schedule
- Breeders' Cup Lists Start Times, Bet Options