Two introductory seminars on horse ownership, 'Derby Fever!' are being offered by the Thoroughbred Owners of California free of charge at Golden Gate Fields and Santa Anita Park April 2.
Synthetic racing surfaces have brought out the best in Positive Response, so he'll get another opportunity over the Turfway Park Polytrack in the $500,000 Vinery Racing Spiral Stakes (gr. III) March 26.
Positive Response made the trip from California worthwhile for his connections with a dominant victory in the $100,000 John Battaglia Memorial Stakes for 3-year-olds at Turfway Park March 5.
Stakes winner Positive Response figures to have a slight edge on paper in the Jan. 15 California Derby. A field of 12 was drawn for the 1 1/16-mile race at Golden Gate Fields.
Hall of Fame jockey Russell Baze added one victory to his total Aug. 12 during the Sonoma County Fair program at Santa Rosa and needs three more to become the first to reach 11,000 in a career.
On a three-race win streak since he moved to the barn of veteran trainer William Morey, Hudson Landing bids for his first graded win in the $100,000 Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) over the Hollywood Park turf June 20.
William Stiritz's Proceed Bee, trained by Scott Becker, took advantage of a speed duel and won the grade III Hawthorne Derby by 2 1/4 lengths Oct. 10 at Hawthorne Racecourse.
Trapper, ridden by Russell Baze, rallied gamely in the stretch to tag favored Green Team by a neck to win Saturday's $100,000 California Sprint Championship at Bay Meadows.
Most Popular Stories
- Campaign to Expose Newcomers to Horses
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- Judy the Beauty Splendid in Las Flores Score
- Expectations High for OBS 2-Year-Old Sale
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Darley Sire Lonhro Enters Australian Hall
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Golden Gate Fields Adds Alcatraz Stakes