One of the best-bred Tapits in the Keeneland September yearling sale catalog lit up the bid board early during the Sept. 13 second session, selling for $900,000 to William Mack and Robert Baker.
Every morning D. Wayne Lukas sends the first set out over the Arkansas oval, their hooves sinking softly in the freshly harrowed ground. On March 14, he supervised Rebel contender Strong Mandate and champion Will Take Charge.
Strong Mandate turned in a dominant performance in the $300,000 Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course, winning for Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas on the renowned horseman's 78th birthday Sept. 2 at the Spa.
Grand Slam, who is represented by four 3-year-old stakes winners in 2012, died March 31 at Ashford Stud.
Dublin, winner of the 2009 Three Chimneys Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga, has been retired from racing because of a fractured sesamoid
Trainer D. Wayne Lukas purchases colt by Distorted Humor out of Half Queen.
In his first work over the track, William Mack and Robert Baker's Dublin sizzled five furlongs in :59.20 at Churchill Downs April 19 as he continues to work toward the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
Proud Citizen, second in last year's Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and third in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) to champion War Emblem, has been retired and will stand for $12,500 live foal at Brereton and Libby Jones' Airdrie Stud near Midway, Ky.
Four-year-old Scorpion, one of 28 grade/group I-winning offspring of Seattle Slew, has been purchased by Dr. Tom Simon's Vinery for stallion duty.
A partnership between Magna Entertainment, Greenwood Racing, and real estate investors Robert Baker and William Mack is pursuing the purchase of New York City Off-Track Betting Corp. The partners are one of five groups that submitted formal bids late Friday for the nation's most lucrative OTB franchise. NYCOTB owns 68 betting parlors, three teletheaters, and four restaurant-sports pubs that generated a $1 billion handle last fiscal year.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot