Divine Fortune, the 12-year-old champion steeplechaser of 2013, was euthanized Aug. 27 as a result of injuries sustained when he fell during the New York Turf Writers Cup at Saratoga Race Course.
William L. Pape and Jonathan Sheppard's homebred Divine Fortune is named top Steeplechaser of 2013. The 10-year-old Royal Anthem gelding big win came in the Grand National Hurdle Stakes (NSA-I) Oct. 19 at Far Hills, N.J.
The A.P. Smithwick Memorial Steeplechase (NSA-II) Thursday at Saratoga came down to the final 20 yards of the flat run when when a determined Mixed Up outfought the front-running Preemptive Strike to win by a half-length.
Trainer Jonathan Sheppard bagged his record 12th victory in the New York Turf Writers Cup (NSA-I) as William L. Pape's Mixed Up carried jockey Danielle Hodsdon to a one-length victory over Top of the Bill in the steeplechase event at Saratoga Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Nyquist Arrives at Monmouth
- Stradivari Recuperating After Surgery
- Belmont Winner Creator Returns in Jim Dandy
- Haveyougoneaway Delivers in Honorable Miss
- A.P. Indian Has Green Light in Vanderbilt
- Lady Aurelia on Track for Prix Morny
- Legends: Lady's Secret, the Iron Lady
- King Kranz Holds Royal Edge in Amsterdam