William G. "Blackie" Huffman, a trainer whose son Ben Huffman serves as racing secretary at Churchill Downs and Keeneland, died Dec. 24 following a short illness.
Three years after William Landes III's Roxelana scored the most important victory of her racing career in a dazzling 11 3/4-length romp in the $100,000 La Troienne (gr. III), the 6-year-old mare was sent home May 1.
Roxelana, with Larry Melancon up, took the early lead and turned back a prolonged challenge by Freefourracing for a length victory in Friday's featured $58,200 allowance race for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
Bill Landes' Roxelana, an easy winner at Turfway Park in her return to competition in September, will continue her comeback on Friday in a six-furlong allowance race over her home track at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Swipe at Belmont Preparing for His Return
- Illuminant Upsets Wekeela in Gamely Stakes
- Creator Works, Set for Trip to New York
- Cyrus Alexander Wins Lone Star Handicap
- Suddenbreakingnews Now 'Official Ridgling'
- Exaggerator Gallops Lap Around Belmont Track
- Living The Life Beats Males in All American
- Untapable Prepares for Start in Fleur de Lis
- The Art of Exaggerator's Stud Deal
- Belterra Stakes Dead Heat Follows Churchill