William G. "Blackie" Huffman, a trainer whose son Ben Huffman serves as racing secretary at Churchill Downs and Keeneland, died Dec. 24 following a short illness.
Three years after William Landes III's Roxelana scored the most important victory of her racing career in a dazzling 11 3/4-length romp in the $100,000 La Troienne (gr. III), the 6-year-old mare was sent home May 1.
Roxelana, with Larry Melancon up, took the early lead and turned back a prolonged challenge by Freefourracing for a length victory in Friday's featured $58,200 allowance race for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
Bill Landes' Roxelana, an easy winner at Turfway Park in her return to competition in September, will continue her comeback on Friday in a six-furlong allowance race over her home track at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Canadian Horse Racing Plans Anniversary 250 Celebration
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- CHRB Approves Medication-Based Conditions
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal