William G. "Blackie" Huffman, a trainer whose son Ben Huffman serves as racing secretary at Churchill Downs and Keeneland, died Dec. 24 following a short illness.
Three years after William Landes III's Roxelana scored the most important victory of her racing career in a dazzling 11 3/4-length romp in the $100,000 La Troienne (gr. III), the 6-year-old mare was sent home May 1.
Roxelana, with Larry Melancon up, took the early lead and turned back a prolonged challenge by Freefourracing for a length victory in Friday's featured $58,200 allowance race for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
Bill Landes' Roxelana, an easy winner at Turfway Park in her return to competition in September, will continue her comeback on Friday in a six-furlong allowance race over her home track at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- Full Field of 14 Contest Wide-Open Modesty
- Hoppertunity Heading Home to California
- Princess of Sylmar Seeks Del 'Cap Rebound
- Sky Lantern Takes Second Crack at Falmouth
- Hialeah Sees New Thoroughbred Opportunity
- Stars and Stripes Good Spot for Suntracer
- Panel: Change in Culture Needed in Racing
- Boisterous Holds Class Edge in Bowling Green
- Admiral Kitten Back at Arlington Park