Two-time stakes winner Discreetness, who captured the Smarty Jones Stakes Jan. 18 at Oaklawn Park, will be pointed to the $500,000 Southwest Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 15 at Oaklawn, said trainer William "Jinks" Fires.
- By Tom LaMarra
- Thoroughbred Racing, Triple Crown, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region
Discreetness, owned by Dwight Pruett's Xpress Thoroughbreds, rallied from just off the pace to win the $150,000 Smarty Jones Stakes for 3-year-olds Jan. 18 at Oaklawn Park.
Robert Yagos, owner of Archarcharch, stayed positive about the Derby experience even after drawing the short straw in the post positions for the Run for the Roses.
Jinks Fires answers questions about Archarcharch, Jon Court, the Derby, and more. Listen to Podcast!
Robert Yagos' Spotsgone broke on the lead for Hall of Fame jockey Earlie Fires and never looked back en route to a 2 1/4-length victory over 6-5 favorite Lewis Michael in the $100,000 Hanshin Cup (gr. III) on Saturday at Arlington Park.
When Dr. Alex "Doc" Harthill died July 16 at a Louisville, Ky. hospice of complications from pneumonia and a stroke at age 80, it marked the end of an era in veterinary medicine at Churchill Downs. Some of those within the racing community who knew him best reflect on Harthill's career.
Patricia Blass' homebred Wildcat Shoes, who set a Churchill Downs track record at five furlongs in his last start, has been retired with a sesamoid injury, trainer William "Jinks" Fires said Wednesday.
Wildcat Shoes, who set a stakes record in winning the Sugar Bowl Stakes for 2-year-olds Sunday at Fair Grounds, is lucky to be alive after suffering severe heat stroke in his career debut at Arlington Park in August.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Havre de Grace Half Sister Wins at Delaware
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- NY Regulators Tighten Underage Gambling Rules
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Beam Appointed to Ohio Fund Advisory Panel
- Colt is First Winner for Maclean's Music
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill