Two-time stakes winner Discreetness, who captured the Smarty Jones Stakes Jan. 18 at Oaklawn Park, will be pointed to the $500,000 Southwest Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 15 at Oaklawn, said trainer William "Jinks" Fires.
- By Tom LaMarra
- Thoroughbred Racing, Triple Crown, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region
Discreetness, owned by Dwight Pruett's Xpress Thoroughbreds, rallied from just off the pace to win the $150,000 Smarty Jones Stakes for 3-year-olds Jan. 18 at Oaklawn Park.
Robert Yagos, owner of Archarcharch, stayed positive about the Derby experience even after drawing the short straw in the post positions for the Run for the Roses.
Jinks Fires answers questions about Archarcharch, Jon Court, the Derby, and more. Listen to Podcast!
Robert Yagos' Spotsgone broke on the lead for Hall of Fame jockey Earlie Fires and never looked back en route to a 2 1/4-length victory over 6-5 favorite Lewis Michael in the $100,000 Hanshin Cup (gr. III) on Saturday at Arlington Park.
When Dr. Alex "Doc" Harthill died July 16 at a Louisville, Ky. hospice of complications from pneumonia and a stroke at age 80, it marked the end of an era in veterinary medicine at Churchill Downs. Some of those within the racing community who knew him best reflect on Harthill's career.
Patricia Blass' homebred Wildcat Shoes, who set a Churchill Downs track record at five furlongs in his last start, has been retired with a sesamoid injury, trainer William "Jinks" Fires said Wednesday.
Wildcat Shoes, who set a stakes record in winning the Sugar Bowl Stakes for 2-year-olds Sunday at Fair Grounds, is lucky to be alive after suffering severe heat stroke in his career debut at Arlington Park in August.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- Suffolk Downs Applies for Six 2017 Race Dates
- NYRA Sanctioned for Aqueduct Water Pollution
- New Santa Anita Turf Course Passes First Test