William Donald Schaefer, a former Maryland governor and a big supporter of racing, died April 18 in Baltimore
Sunriver will be stretching out from one turn to two when he makes his second start of 2007 in the William Donald Schaefer Handicap (gr. III) at Pimlico on Saturday. The Schaefer will be the last undercard race before the 132nd running of the Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
In the race immediately preceding the Preakness (gr. I) at Pimlico Saturday, eight older horses will contest the $100,000 William Donald Schaefer Handicap (gr. III) over nine furlongs.
Dogwood Stable's Windsor Castle rallied wide and from off the pace to roar to victory in the William Donald Schaefer Handicap (gr. III) at Pimlico on Saturday. The 5-year-old son of Lord Carson got the 1 1/8 miles over a good track in 1:50.08.
Most Popular Stories
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Bullheaded Boy First Winner for Bullsbay
- Hawthorne Drops Race Dates, Cuts Fall Stakes
- Makari Wins Smithwick for Voss Murray
- King's Bishop Likely Option for Wildcat Red
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks
- First Winner for Sire Concord Point
- Dayatthespa, Big Blue Kitten on Whitney Card