Portland Meadows in Oregon concluded its short summer meet Sept. 29 with substantial increases in pari-mutuel handle.
In a surprise announcement June 10, Portland Meadows said it will have live racing from July 21 through Jan. 26, 2014. The track recently was approved to install historical racing machines.
A reduction in live race dates at Portland Meadows resulted in daily average increases in handle and purses for the 55-day meet in 2011-12 when compared with the 73-day meet in 2010-11.
Portland Meadows reported record handle of $61.2 million during its 78 day meet that concluded May 1 at the Portland, Ore. oval.
Its meet extended by one week, Portland Meadows handled a record $44,655,297 over 66 full race days when the 2008-09 Oregon meet concluded March 31.
Oregon horsemen claim they are caught in the middle of a battle between TVG and Magna Entertainment Corp. over source-market fees, a dispute they claim could jeopardize this year's Portland Meadows fall meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Nutritional Management of Insulin Resistance in Horses
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise