Sarava made his North American stakes debut a winning one when the Ken McPeek-trained colt rallied for an impressive victory over Withers Stakes (gr. III) runner-up Shah Jehan in the $100,000-guaranteed Sir Barton Stakes for 3-year-olds on the Preakness undercard.
Willmott Stables' Stephentown, an impressive allowance winner at Gulfstream Park on Wednesday, will take a major step up in class when he makes his next appearance in the $200,000 Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. I) at 1 1/16 miles on Feb. 16.
After winning a duel with Lesters Boy early on, Smile Again was headed in the stretch by 13-10 favorite Freedom Crest before fighting back to post a neck-length win in Saturday's $100,000 Bel Air Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park. Earlier on the card, 2-year-old filly Georgia's Storm led from wire-to-wire in winning the $108,400 Landaluce Stakes (gr. III) under Chris McCarron.
It was a slow week on the leading sires list by progeny earnings. Fly So Free, Phone Trick, Tour d'Or, Thunder Gulch, Cee's Tizzy, A.P. Indy, and Maria's Mon still hold down the top seven spots.
Binge, a 7-year-old mare by Wild Again in foal to Tale of the Cat, was purchased by Jim Wells for $125,000 to top the first consignor preferred session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's 2000 Fall Mixed Sale.
The 2001 stud fee for Rahy, this year's fourth-leading North American sire by money earned, will nearly double from his 2000 fee, rising to $75,000. The 15-year-old stallion, who stands at Three Chimney's Farm near Midway, Ky., stood for an advertised fee of $40,000 in 2000.
Stronach Stable's Milwaukee Brew rallied late to win the $300,000 Ohio Derby by a head Saturday at Thistledown.
Most Popular Stories
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Easthams Re-Launch Legacy Bloodstock
- OH Panel to New Track: No Tellers, No Permit
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Close to VLT Agreements
- Woodbine Has Per-Card Wagering Rise in 2013
- Canterbury Releases 2014 Stakes Schedule
- Bill Presented to Expand KTDF Availability
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards