Headed by Repent and Changeintheweather, at least nine 3-year-olds are expected to be entered for Saturday's grade II, $500,000 Illinois Derby at Sportsman's Park.
A field of eight was entered Friday for Sunday's Louisiana Derby, with Risen Star winner Repent heading one of the race's strongest and deepest fields in years. The 1 1/16-mile event also attracted some of the nation's top riders, including Jerry Bailey, Pat Day, Jorge Chavez, and Russell Baze.
Normally, a weekend that features the Lecomte Stakes from Fair Grounds and a pair of allowance races from Gulfstream is not going to cause any great tremors on the Derby trail. While this past weekend was no exception, we did have several impressive performances, by losers as well as winners, that could have an impact in the weeks ahead.
Most Popular Stories
- Effinex Lands Grade I in Clark Handicap
- Midnight Storm Returns to Form in Seabiscuit
- Former Claimer Almasty Wins Commonwealth Turf
- Dortmund Stays Home for Native Diver
- Taris Rolls Clear in Go for Wand
- Big Cazanova Visits Golden Gate for Berkeley
- Dressed in Hermes, 'Dan' Head Cecil DeMille
- Mongolian Saturday Drills for HK Sprint
- Pedigree Analysis: Scat Daddy
- Dubawi Fillies Best Sellers at Tattersalls