Manny Dober's racing career was chronicled in "The Complete Book of Thoroughbred Horse Racing."
Friday morning was not a good time at the barn of Kenny McPeek. He has been forced to scratch two horses from stakes races at Churchill Downs today--Take Charge Lady and White Cat.
A showdown between two of America's finest 4-year-old fillies headlines the $300,000 Louisville Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II), one of three important stakes events that share the spotlight on Friday's race card at Churchill Downs that is headlined by the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
Raymond Cottrell's White Cat rallied strongly in early stretch, then held off a resurgent Deep Shadow to win the Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds by a nose on Keeneland's opening day.
Nothing to Lose, unbeaten since moving to the grass, and Hypnotist, a colt who has already won at Gulfstream Park, head a full field entered in Friday's $100,000 Palm Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds at 1 1/8 mile on the turf.
Dogwood Stable's Hypnotist and jockey Jerry Bailey held off White Cat and Edgar Prado by a neck Sunday in winning the $75,000 Dave Feldman for 3-year-olds on the turf at Gulfstream.
Trainer Nick Zito, who didn't take long to get his powerful stable in action since arriving from New York and Kentucky for the winter, sends out Robert LaPenta's promising 2-year-old Seek Gold in the $100,000 What A Pleasure Stakes Saturday at Calder.
Most Popular Stories
- Sano's Faith in Gunnevera Unwavering for Florida Derby
- Dortmund Looks to Regain Form in Santana Mile
- Average Spikes at Barretts March Sale
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Trainer, Racing Official Daniel Dufford Dies at 66
- Tequilita Hopes to Go Distance in Gulfstream Oaks
- Celestine Seeks Honey Fox Repeat
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows