Manny Dober's racing career was chronicled in "The Complete Book of Thoroughbred Horse Racing."
Friday morning was not a good time at the barn of Kenny McPeek. He has been forced to scratch two horses from stakes races at Churchill Downs today--Take Charge Lady and White Cat.
A showdown between two of America's finest 4-year-old fillies headlines the $300,000 Louisville Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II), one of three important stakes events that share the spotlight on Friday's race card at Churchill Downs that is headlined by the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I).
Raymond Cottrell's White Cat rallied strongly in early stretch, then held off a resurgent Deep Shadow to win the Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds by a nose on Keeneland's opening day.
Nothing to Lose, unbeaten since moving to the grass, and Hypnotist, a colt who has already won at Gulfstream Park, head a full field entered in Friday's $100,000 Palm Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds at 1 1/8 mile on the turf.
Dogwood Stable's Hypnotist and jockey Jerry Bailey held off White Cat and Edgar Prado by a neck Sunday in winning the $75,000 Dave Feldman for 3-year-olds on the turf at Gulfstream.
Trainer Nick Zito, who didn't take long to get his powerful stable in action since arriving from New York and Kentucky for the winter, sends out Robert LaPenta's promising 2-year-old Seek Gold in the $100,000 What A Pleasure Stakes Saturday at Calder.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Runhappy in Final Drill for Return
- Accelerate Finds Just Enough in Los Al Derby
- 'Chrome' Logs Final Work for Awesome Again
- Miyadi Arrested After Altercation With Solis
- Lexie Lou Officially Retired
- Senor Guitar First Winner for Star Guitar
- Deeply Undervalued Wins Commonwealth Derby
- Brave Anna Upsets Cheveley Park Stakes