A rule that would limit use of the riding crop by jockeys during races is expected to be put in place at the upcoming 24-day Santa Anita Park autumn meet set to begin Sept. 26.
Beginning Oct. 10, jockeys in Great Britain will face a minimum suspension of five days for not adhering to stricter limits for use of the whip in races.
The International Racing Regulatory Conference Committee of the Association of Racing Commissioners International held its first meeting Feb. 10 and called for a review of RCI Model Rules pertaining to "urging" in races.
Uniform policies that restrict use of a riding crop in under tack shows for 2-year-olds in training had a significant effect on riders' actions at the preview for the Fasig-Tipton Florida select juvenile auction, according to Fasig-Tipton director of marketing Terence Collier.
The Thoroughbred Safety Committee announced June 17 that it is recommending the elimination of steroids in race training and racing, a ban on toe grabs, and a series of whip-related reforms, all aimed at improving safety and integrity in Thoroughbred racing.
Jockey Pat Day has won a settlement in a lawsuit filed in connection with the Turfway Park Breeders' Cup Handicap on Sept. 16, 2000.
Jockey Pat Day and stewards at Turfway Park will have to give sworn testimony as a result of a U.S. District Court judge's denial of a motion to dismiss a case in which Day is accused of striking another horse with his whip during the $250,000 Turfway Park Breeders' Cup Sept. 16, 2000.
The English Jockey Club has levied 10-day suspensions to jockeys George Duffield and Pat Eddery for excessive use of the whip during Saturday's Coral-Eclipse Stakes at Sandown.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion High Chaparral Euthanized at 15
- Gulfstream Builds Stalls for Displaced Horses
- Trainer James DiVito Collects 1,000th Win
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Leading Laurel Rider McCarthy Breaks Wrist
- Asmussen, Albarado Team for Four-Win Day
- CHRB Eyes Scratching of Unreported Geldings
- Favored Act of War Captures Cape Guineas
- California Chrome Drills at Los Alamitos
- Bayern Turns in Bullet Move at Santa Anita