Janis Whitham's homebred Fort Larned made his 1 3/16-mile trip at Gulfstream Park March 31 a quick one. He set a track record of 1:53.92 for the distance while cruising to victory in the $100,000 Skip Away Stakes (gr. III).
Grade I winner Awesome Maria looked as good as ever romping in the Sabin Stakes (gr. III) last month; Where's Sterling leads the field in the Skip Away. Both races are part of the Florida Derby undercard at Gulfstream Park.
Boys At Tosconova, winner of last year's Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) and second to Uncle Mo in the Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), continues his comeback in an optional claiming allowance feature at Gulfstream Dec. 23.
Third at mid-stretch, former claimer Headache closed steadily to edge Where's Sterling by a half-length in the $500,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. II) in Illinois Oct. 8.
Frank Calabrese's Where's Sterling wore down Southern Ridge in mid-stretch and went on to record his first stakes win Aug. 20 in the $252,500 Philip H. Iselin (gr. III) at Monmouth Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- Hong Kong Stars to Battle on Sunday at Sha Tin
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Look Back: Master Derby Wins Louisiana Derby
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- Mind Your Biscuits Set for Gulfstream Park Sprint