Jayeff B Stables' Strike a Deal, who had been winless for nearly 18 months, finally tasted victory Nov. 8, as the 4-year-old colt stayed close to the pace, struck the front in upper stretch, and pulled away for a resounding seven-length victory in the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) on a rainy afternoon at Aqueduct.
Hotstufanthensome was claimed for $62,5000 by trainer Terri Pompay for Main Street Stable's in January. Since then the 8-year-old Awesome Again gelding was a well-beaten fifth in the Elkwood, won by a head in a 1 1/16-mile optional claiming July 3 at Monmouth and stalked the pace but came up just short in the Oceanport.
Upset-minded Wheels Up At Noon used a perfect stalking trip for Javier Castellano to win the $200,900 Caesar Rodney Stakes, leaving the 7-5 choice Silver Tree behind by 2 1/4 lengths at Delaware Park July 13.
Success may not follow Summer Doldrums all the time, but the son of Street Cry has been competitive in nearly all his 12 career starts, many of them in graded stakes competition. That back class will make him one of the horses to beat, as a field of 11 3-year-olds will try the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) Oct. 13, a 1 1/8-mile test on the turf.
Elizabeth Valando's Nobiz Like Shobiz figures to be the heavy favorite in the Sept. 1 Kent Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Delaware Park. The $500,000 test for 3-year-olds at 1 1/8 miles on the grass has attracted a field of 11.
Most Popular Stories
- Undefeated Dortmund Wasn't Always So Popular
- Golden Gate Winter/Spring Meet Starts Dec. 26
- Lukas Pointing 'Brandi' to Kentucky Oaks
- Millionaire Kiri's Clown Euthanized at Age 25
- Baffert Quartet Faces Shared Belief in Malibu
- Intriguing Maidens in MD Juvenile Futurity
- Secret Circle Aims for Season-Ending Win
- Baltas, Pedroza Square Off at Los Alamitos
- Happy Holidays From Blood-Horse Publications
- Ohio-Bred Fund to Top $5 Million in 2015