Vinery Stables' Chief's Lake, making his second start in eight months, scored a 3 1/4-length victory Sunday in the $107,700 Mike Lee for New York-breds at seven furlongs.
With the 2007 Triple Crown season in the books, it's time for New York-breds to get their turn at a three-race series. Sunday's Mike Lee Stakes kicks off the OTB Big Apple Triple at Belmont Park, and Bruce Levine trainee What a Tale looks to write his own story chasing all three races and a $250,000 bonus.
Unbeaten odds-on favorite Tiz Wonderful, ridden by John Velazquez, fought back after being passed in the stretch by Any Given Saturday to regain the lead near the finish and post a half-length victory in the 80th running of the $223,800, grade II Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes for two-year-olds on the closing day of the 21-day Fall Meet at Churchill Downs.
Stonestreet Stable's Tiz Wonderful, who has won his two career starts by a combined margin of 19 Â¼-lengths, is the odds-on morning line favorite in a field of nine 2-year-olds entered in Saturday's $200,000-added Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes (gr. II).
Odds-on choice Tiz Wonderful, ridden by Garrett Gomez in his second start, emerged from a speed duel to romp to a 6 ¾-length victory in the $110,900 Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-olds at Churchill Downs Sunday.
Frank Fletcher's Officer Rocket will put a three-race winning streak on the line when he takes on six rivals in the $100,000-added Iroquois Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Looking to Retain His Throne
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Champion English Channel Relocates to Calumet
- Wise Dan to Make Return in Bernard Baruch
- Storm and a Half to Stand in Iowa
- Unbeaten Taghrooda Heads Yorkshire Oaks
- Tiz Wonderful Colt Sells for OKC Sale Record
- Consignors Provide Keeneland Showing Schedule
- Haskin's Top Sprinters of the Last 50 Years
- New Mexico Owner/Breeder Danley Dies