Trainer Todd Pletcher and jockey John Velazquez swept two grade III turf stakes at Calder Race Course Saturday when the Chilean-bred Host won the Tropical Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT). Two-year-olds Leona's Knight and Better Than Bonds also won stakes during Grand Slam I.
On Saturday Ralph Ziadie is hoping an unplaced finish in the Dec. 13 What A Pleasure Stakes makes Saturday's grade III Holy Bull Stakes worth the wait.
Second of June scored a minor upset over Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) winner Silver Wagon in Saturday's $100,000 What A Pleasure Stakes at Calder. The race was part of Grand Slam I at the Florida track.
Buckram Oak Farm's Silver Wagon and John Franks' Chatter Chatter are two of the most exciting 2-year-old prospects developed at Calder in recent years and will be among the stars performing in Saturday's Grand Slam I races.
Buckram Oak Farm's Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) winner Silver Wagon and John Franks' juvenile filly Chatter Chatter turned in solid workouts at Calder Monday morning as they prepare for engagements Saturday on the "Grand Slam I" program.
Trust N Luck dominated Saturday's $100,000 What A Pleasure Stakes for 2-year-olds at Calder, leading from start to finish while covering the 1 1/16-mile distance in a stakes-record 1:44. The winning margin was 11 lengths.
Trainer Nick Zito, who didn't take long to get his powerful stable in action since arriving from New York and Kentucky for the winter, sends out Robert LaPenta's promising 2-year-old Seek Gold in the $100,000 What A Pleasure Stakes Saturday at Calder.
The fields are set for the four $100,000 stakes races to be run on Saturday's Grand Slam I program at Calder Race Course -- the biggest afternoon of racing on the national calendar that day.
On Saturday, Calder Race Course hosts Grand Slam I, with four stakes races offered with purses of $100,000 each. The four Grand Slam I races, consisting of three graded stakes and the Three Ring Stakes, will comprise a $100,000 guaranteed pick four.
Most Popular Stories
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta
- Wild At Heart Makes Short Work of Buena Vista
- High Ridge Road Closes to Win Barbara Fritchie
- Miss Temple City, Lady Eli Put in First Works of 2017
- Imperial Hint Makes the Grade in General George
- Gunnevera, Three Rules Work toward Fountain of Youth