Success may not follow Summer Doldrums all the time, but the son of Street Cry has been competitive in nearly all his 12 career starts, many of them in graded stakes competition. That back class will make him one of the horses to beat, as a field of 11 3-year-olds will try the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) Oct. 13, a 1 1/8-mile test on the turf.
Takedown, a son of Point Given, made his stakes debut a winning one Saturday at Sunland Park, capturing the $100,000 Borderland Derby for 3-year-olds by 1 1/4 lengths over Jack Hes Tops.
Game of Skill, a former Southern California runner who opened some eyes at Sunland Park with a nine-length maiden win on Jan. 23, figures to get plenty of attention in Saturday's $100,000 Borderland Derby sponsored by Casa Ford for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Irad Ortiz Jr. Wins Aqueduct Riding Title
- Dolphus Outruns Quality Field at Aqueduct
- Pricey Filly Tops OBS Pinhook Prospects
- J Boys Echo Breezes Five Furlongs at Churchill