Success may not follow Summer Doldrums all the time, but the son of Street Cry has been competitive in nearly all his 12 career starts, many of them in graded stakes competition. That back class will make him one of the horses to beat, as a field of 11 3-year-olds will try the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) Oct. 13, a 1 1/8-mile test on the turf.
Takedown, a son of Point Given, made his stakes debut a winning one Saturday at Sunland Park, capturing the $100,000 Borderland Derby for 3-year-olds by 1 1/4 lengths over Jack Hes Tops.
Game of Skill, a former Southern California runner who opened some eyes at Sunland Park with a nine-length maiden win on Jan. 23, figures to get plenty of attention in Saturday's $100,000 Borderland Derby sponsored by Casa Ford for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Agent Ryan Not Surprised by Cloud Computing's Win
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Hips to Watch: Day 1 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Soul Stirring Frankel's First Classic Winner
- Preakness Wrapup: Clouds Got in the Way
- La Coronel Prepares for Royal Ascot Run
- Actress Announces Presence in Black-Eyed Susan
- Grizzel Edges Enstone in Selene Stakes