Success may not follow Summer Doldrums all the time, but the son of Street Cry has been competitive in nearly all his 12 career starts, many of them in graded stakes competition. That back class will make him one of the horses to beat, as a field of 11 3-year-olds will try the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) Oct. 13, a 1 1/8-mile test on the turf.
Takedown, a son of Point Given, made his stakes debut a winning one Saturday at Sunland Park, capturing the $100,000 Borderland Derby for 3-year-olds by 1 1/4 lengths over Jack Hes Tops.
Game of Skill, a former Southern California runner who opened some eyes at Sunland Park with a nine-length maiden win on Jan. 23, figures to get plenty of attention in Saturday's $100,000 Borderland Derby sponsored by Casa Ford for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade II Winners to Battle in WV Derby
- Wilkins to Direct Calumet Stallion Division
- No Worries for Paquette in First Race Call
- 'The Chief' in Florida Rather Than Saratoga
- Travers or Pennsylvania Derby Next for Bayern
- Catalano's Daughter Reports Progress
- As Revenue Drops, NY Casinos Get Extra Hours
- 2015 Preakness Stakes Logo Unveiled
- Godolphin's Romansh on Schedule for Whitney
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th