Success may not follow Summer Doldrums all the time, but the son of Street Cry has been competitive in nearly all his 12 career starts, many of them in graded stakes competition. That back class will make him one of the horses to beat, as a field of 11 3-year-olds will try the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) Oct. 13, a 1 1/8-mile test on the turf.
Takedown, a son of Point Given, made his stakes debut a winning one Saturday at Sunland Park, capturing the $100,000 Borderland Derby for 3-year-olds by 1 1/4 lengths over Jack Hes Tops.
Game of Skill, a former Southern California runner who opened some eyes at Sunland Park with a nine-length maiden win on Jan. 23, figures to get plenty of attention in Saturday's $100,000 Borderland Derby sponsored by Casa Ford for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- No Horses Injured in Pennsylvania Barn Fire
- Major Expansion Planned for Aqueduct Casino
- Cuomo Administration Fires Back at Criticism
- Japan Races added to BC Challenge Series
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- KY-Bred Ryans Charm Scores Repeat in Peru GI
- Into Mischief Filly MHBA Yearling Show Champ