Three-time stakes winner J P's Gusto heads a field of 11 juveniles entered for the $250,000 Del Mar Futurity (gr. I) Sept. 8, the closing day of the popular 37-day summer meet.
Jockey Patrick Valenzuela earned his first California stakes victory since the fall of 2007 when he guided J P's Gusto to a front-running half-length win in the $150,000 Best Pal Stakes (gr. II) at Del Mar Aug. 8.
Patrick Valenzuela, a five-time champion at Del Mar but riding at the seashore for the first time in three years, will ride 2-1 morning line favorite J P's Gusto in the $150,000 Best Pal Stakes (gr. II) Aug. 8.
J P's Gusto, the odds-on winner of the July 5 Hollywood Juvenile Championship (gr. III), will take the next step on his life's journey Aug. 8 at Del Mar in the Best Pal Stakes (gr. II).
The grade III Hollywood Juvenile Champion is the son of Successful Appeal's second stakes win in three starts.
J P's Gusto, who earned his maiden victory in the Willard L. Proctor Memorial Stakes, tops a field of eight 2-year-olds in the $100,000 Hollywood Juvenile Championship (gr. III) July 5 on the Hollywood Park Cushion Track.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Boat Trip Gets First Foal Times Three
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut
- Canadian Horse Racing Plans Anniversary 250 Celebration
- Three Rules Fires Florida Bullet
- Local Hero, Guest Suite Top Risen Star Selections
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies