California-bred Stellar Magic collared 7-10 favorite Texcess in mid-stretch and rolled to a 1 1/2-length victory in the San Mateo Mile for 3-year-olds at Bay Meadows Saturday.
The first juvenile race of 2003 in Southern California was Thursday's first heat at Santa Anita, a two-furlong dash on the dirt won by John Brocklebank's Rockin' the Ship.
Trainer Jay Robbins hopes to end 2002 with a bang when he sends out Tizalovelylady as a supplementary entry in the Hollywood Starlet (gr. I) for 2-year-old fillies at 1 1/16 miles Saturday.
Stakes winner Western Fame's first winner, Little Bit Western, won a two-furlong maiden race March 28 at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Goldikova, Espinoza Among Hall of Fame Inductees
- Brisk Activity Bodes Well for OBS Spring Sale
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus
- Spending Time With New Trainer Kent Sweezey
- OBS Hips to Watch Include Tapwrit's Half Brother