It was a crowded Saratoga Race Course on Sunday afternoon with a paid attendance of 70,792, but Dave and jockey Jose Santos found plenty of room in the lane, coming away with a one-length victory in the $113,600 West Point Handicap on the turf for New York-breds.
Golden Commander swung to the outside for room in the upper stretch and closed steadily in the final sixteenth of a mile to win the $114,700 West Point Handicap for New York breds on turf at Saratoga Race Course on Sunday.
Private Emblem comes back to Saratoga where he could be facing as many as 14 other NewYork-breds in Friday's $100,000-added West Point Handicap on the grass at nine furlongs.
Tortured twice by losing photo finishes in graded stakes races recently at Saratoga, trainer Christophe Clement and jockey Jose Santos got a bit of payback when Waterville Lake Stable's Celtic Sky got up at the wire to beat front-running Reluctant Groom by a nose in the $82,900 West Point Handicap.
I'm All Yours and Reluctant Groom, the top two finishers in last year's West Point Handicap, will resume their rivalry on Friday in the 23rd running of the $75,000-added West Point Handicap for 3-year-olds and older New York-breds at nine furlongs on the turf.
Most Popular Stories
- The Pizza Man Wins Hollywood Turf Cup
- Ahh Chocolate Smooth in Falls City
- Green Gratto Stuns Fall Highweight Field
- Control Stake Too Tough in Thanksgiving 'Cap
- Heart to Heart Wire to Wire in River City
- Invaders Poised to Have Impact in Japan Cup
- Tonalist, Red Vine Please in Cigar Mile Drill
- Hollendorfer Gets 7,000th Win of Career
- Tonalist Takes on Private Zone in Cigar Mile
- Runhappy Strong in Five Furlong Move