On January 13, 2012, Treble Jig became the 100th stakes winner for his late sire, Gone West. This goal was achieved through excellence over time, with an average of just 61 foals per crop.
West by West, a grade I-winning son of Gone West, died May 27 at the Karacabey Pension Stud Farm in Turkey. He was 22.
John H. Peace, who raced homebred graded stakes winners West by West and Top Secret, died Oct. 22 at a hospital in Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.
A West by West colt brought $165,000 (Canadian funds, $105,980 in U.S. funds) to top the Canadian-bred yearling auction at Woodbine Tuesday.
Jean-Pierre DeRoubaix of the French Bloodstock Agency announced that the Turkish Jockey Club has purchased West by West, Marlin, Fantastic Fellow, Bijou d'Inde, and Bin Ajwaad for stallion duty at the Turkish National Stud near Izmit.
West By West, sixth-leading third crop sire in the U.S., is among three stallions destined for Turkey, if negotiations are completed. The other two are Fantastic Fellow and Marlin, according to Narvick International, which is helping engineer the deal with the Turkish Jockey Club.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- NY Proposes Sweeping Equine Drug, Record Rules
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps