On January 13, 2012, Treble Jig became the 100th stakes winner for his late sire, Gone West. This goal was achieved through excellence over time, with an average of just 61 foals per crop.
West by West, a grade I-winning son of Gone West, died May 27 at the Karacabey Pension Stud Farm in Turkey. He was 22.
John H. Peace, who raced homebred graded stakes winners West by West and Top Secret, died Oct. 22 at a hospital in Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.
A West by West colt brought $165,000 (Canadian funds, $105,980 in U.S. funds) to top the Canadian-bred yearling auction at Woodbine Tuesday.
Jean-Pierre DeRoubaix of the French Bloodstock Agency announced that the Turkish Jockey Club has purchased West by West, Marlin, Fantastic Fellow, Bijou d'Inde, and Bin Ajwaad for stallion duty at the Turkish National Stud near Izmit.
West By West, sixth-leading third crop sire in the U.S., is among three stallions destined for Turkey, if negotiations are completed. The other two are Fantastic Fellow and Marlin, according to Narvick International, which is helping engineer the deal with the Turkish Jockey Club.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes
- Mo Town, Guest Suite Set for Risen Star Showdown
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Grade 1 Haskell Headlines Monmouth Stakes Schedule
- Under Agreement, Trainer Umarov Suspended Five Years
- What's Going On Here: Truly Charismatic
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory