In the Royal Ascot opener Tuesday, June 16, favored Solow delivered a rousing victory in the $585,000 Queen Anne Stakes (Eng-I), extending his win streak to seven races, including three straight group I victories.
Head began his assault on the storied grass race in 1987-88, riding Miesque, then saddled Goldikova to three consecutive victories in 2008-10 after beginning a training career. Now, Goldikova's full brother could step up.
Silentio, a lightly-raced son of Japanese-bred stallion Silent Name, registered victory in his stakes debut in the $150,750 Sir Beaufort (gr. IIT) on the turf at Santa Anita Park on opening day of the winter meet.
European challenger Goldikova, undefeated in her previous three starts in French group races, won the Breeders' Cup Mile with a thrilling burst of speed in mid-stretch. Trainer Freddie Head becomes the first person to win a Breeders' Cup World Championship race as a jockey(Miesque, 1987-88) and now as a trainer.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- Roca Rojo Closes for Athenia Victory
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- Seven-Time Group I Winner Buffering Retired
- Elektrum Surges at Wire to Win Dowager
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Gainesway Colts Among Hips to Watch