D' Funnybone, trained by Rick Dutrow Jr., will go for his fourth grade II score March 20 at Gulfstream when he leads a field of nine in the Swale Stakes.
Lori and George Hall's Atomic Rain and Jayeff B Stable's Chef are prominent in a field of eight 3-year-olds entered in a 1 1/8-mile allowance feature at Gulfstream Park March 6, a race almost certain to yield a contender or two for the $750,000 Florida Derby (gr. I) to be run over the track and distance on March 28.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER, by Avalyn Hunter
Deja vu? It may feel that way for Paul Pompa, Jr. Last year, he sold a 75% interest in Big Brown to IEAH Stables after the colt broke his maiden. Now the phones are ringing with offers again thanks to Well Positioned, who cruised to a 14 ¼-length maiden victory Nov. 22 at Aqueduct.
Yes, it is early to start thinking about Kentucky Derby future bets, but this is the time of year when you can find the megabombs if you're willing to put your money on a wing and a prayer.
Here we go again. It didn't take long after second-time starter Well Positioned crossed the finish line 14 1/4 lengths in front in the sixth race at Aqueduct Nov. 22 for owner Paul Pompa to begin getting phone calls from prospective buyers. It was deja vu for Pompa and trainer Pat Reynolds after playing out the same scene last year with Big Brown.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Lexie Lou Headlines Victoriana Stakes
- Nyquist Arrives at Monmouth
- What's Going On Here: Sporting Gestures
- Stradivari Recuperating After Surgery
- Belmont Winner Creator Returns in Jim Dandy
- Oaklawn Strengthening 2017 Handicap Division
- PNGI Reports Increased Earnings for Quarter
- AHC Plans Economic Impact Study for 2017