Pensioned stallion and Florida champion Wekiva Springs was euthanized at Don Dizney's Double Diamond Farm June 2 due to cancer.
The Bob Baffert-trained Apalachian Thunder, who finished third in the $500,000 WinStar Derby on March 30, will run in the $100,000 California Derby at Bay Meadows Saturday.
Ha Pa Da, a 5-year-old winning daughter of Wekiva Springs, brought the top price of $35,000 Sunday during Fasig-Tipton Midlantic winter mixed sale in Timonium, Md.
Donald Dizney's homebred Apalachian Thunder defeated a promising field of 3-year-olds that included Atswhatimtalknbout and Listen Indy in Friday's $56,000 allowance feature at Santa Anita.
Millionaire Wekiva Springs will return to his birthplace, Donald Dizney's Double Diamond Farm near Ocala, Fla., to stand the 2002 breeding season.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Resilient Humor Debut Winner for Sassy Image
- Retired Valet Ward Dies in Kentucky
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Aqueduct Announcers Bring Youth, Experience
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Ferndale Racetrack OK After Earthquake