Sarah Sis, winner of the Honeybee Stakes (gr. III) earlier this year, heads the $200,000 Iowa Oaks (gr. III) off her win in the May 30 Panthers Stakes over the Prairie Meadows surface.
On the 25th anniversary of their plucky colt’s Preakness Stakes (gr. I) win, Dogwood Stable’s Cot Campbell recalls the thrilling highs and gut-wrenching lows of campaigning a top 3-year-old along the 1990 Triple Crown trail.
Grade II winner Neko Bay has been retired from racing and will enter stud in 2011 at John Greely IV's Wintergreen Stallion Station near Midway, Ky.
Smart Surprise, a leading contender for Canadian champion older mare, has been retired from racing, according to John Sikura's Hill n' Dale Farms.
Weekend Storm, dam of Central Kentucky stallion Kipling and four stakes winners, died Feb. 12 of foaling complications.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Danzig within the third generation and inbreeding to an influential dam is a pedigree pattern shared by Triple Crown hopeful Big Brown and international group I winner Jay Peg, a son of Camden Park. Jay Peg has won eight of 13 starts as a freshman and sophomore, including group I victories in his native Singapore, South Africa, and in Dubai.
Stevie Wonderboy, champion 2-year-old male of 2005, will begin his stallion career for a fee of $17,500.
Weekend Surprise, dam of classic winners Summer Squall and A.P. Indy, died after foaling a Belong to Me filly Tuesday. The foaling was without incident, but that evening Weekend Surprise hemorrhaged and died. The filly has been placed on a nurse mare and is doing fine.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm