Evening Jewel, perfect in two starts on the turf, attempts to register her second grade I victory of the season when she faces a solid field in the $300,000 Del Mar Oaks on the grass Aug. 21 at the seaside track.
Favored Evening Jewel swept to victory in the $150,000 San Clemente Handicap (gr. IIT) July 25, giving trainer James Cassidy and jockey Victor Espinoza a sweep of the graded turf stakes on the opening weekend at Del Mar.
In her stakes debut, Pam and Marty Wygod's homebred Harmonious swept to victory in the $250,000 American Oaks (gr. IT), outlasting Antares World on the Hollywood Park turf July 3.
Unlike past renewals, this year's American Oaks (gr. IT), with a reduction in purse to $250,000 reflecting tough times in California, is a local affair with Jerry and Ann Moss' Cozie Rosie among the favorites.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Suffolk Casino Project to be Put to New Vote
- Arqana Sale Closes With Records