Evening Jewel, perfect in two starts on the turf, attempts to register her second grade I victory of the season when she faces a solid field in the $300,000 Del Mar Oaks on the grass Aug. 21 at the seaside track.
Favored Evening Jewel swept to victory in the $150,000 San Clemente Handicap (gr. IIT) July 25, giving trainer James Cassidy and jockey Victor Espinoza a sweep of the graded turf stakes on the opening weekend at Del Mar.
In her stakes debut, Pam and Marty Wygod's homebred Harmonious swept to victory in the $250,000 American Oaks (gr. IT), outlasting Antares World on the Hollywood Park turf July 3.
Unlike past renewals, this year's American Oaks (gr. IT), with a reduction in purse to $250,000 reflecting tough times in California, is a local affair with Jerry and Ann Moss' Cozie Rosie among the favorites.
Most Popular Stories
- Monmouth Ups Haskell Purse to $1.75 Million
- Quick Arrest Following Delaware Park Shooting
- La Verdad Cruises in Honorable Miss
- Imagining Heads Tough Bowling Green at Spa
- Rock Fall Looks to Step Up in Vanderbilt
- Belmont Runner-Up Frosted Back in Jim Dandy
- Saratoga's PDJF Awareness Day Events Aug. 1
- The Day the Haskell Came of Age
- Solow Extends Group I Win Streak in Sussex
- American Pharoah Has Final Work for Haskell