Sent off at 22-1, Forbidden Apple rallied from just off the pace to win the $210,000 Belmont Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) by 1 1/4 lengths Saturday at Belmont Park. The win was the second in a row in the race for trainer Christophe Clement and jockey Jose Santos, who teamed to win last year's renewal with With the Flow.
Guided by jockey Jerry Bailey, betting favorite Hap saved ground along the hedge, rallying through the stretch to win the $200,000 Fourstardave Handicap (gr. IIT) by 3/4-lengths Saturday at Saratoga.
Affirmed Success, racing on turf for the first time Tuesday in anticipation of a possible start in the Breeders' Cup Mile, drew off through the stretch run to win the $113,800 Poker Handicap.
Most Popular Stories
- White Filly Beautiful Devil Carries Tradition
- American Pharoah 'Just Cruising' in Workout
- Speedy Grade III Winner Chitu Retired
- Two 'Super Saturdays' for Belmont Fall Meet
- BC Nomination Discount for HRA Ends July 15
- New York Coupled Entry Rules Modified
- F-T Summer Sale Adds Stakes-Winning Fillies
- Owner/Breeder Lindh Dies at 84
- USDA Officials Address American Horse Council
- TOBA Names Top Owners, Breeders for 2014