Calder Race Course was forced to cancel its live racing card on Friday after Hurricane Katrina, a category one storm, punished much of South Florida overnight and into the early morning hours.
Trainers of some Kentucky Derby (gr. I) horses were altering plans this past weekend, juggling work schedules to avoid the rain. If the National Weather Service is correct, no one should have to worry come Derby day.
After experiencing the wettest winter in the track's 70-year history, Santa Anita Park concluded its 2004-05 winter/spring meeting with only a 3% decline in total handle.
A suspected tornado that tore a path through Ocala, Fla. Thursday afternoon caused wide-spread damage to area horse farms, but early reports indicate no equine deaths or significant injuries were incurred.
The New York Racing Association is taking steps to avoid having to abandon live racing once the first race goes off.
Inclement weather continued to play havoc with racing, as Turfway Park and Laurel Park canceled live racing Sunday.
Many racetracks in the Midwest and on the East Coast cancelled live racing Saturday due to a massive winter storm moving through those parts of the country.
The winter storm that dumped snow and ice on much of the Midwest and restricted travel in northern Kentucky has led ton cancellation of live racing Thursday at Turfway Park.
With a winter storm that was expected to include ice, snow, wind, and cold temperatures roaring through northern Kentucky, the Wednesday race card at Turfway Park was cancelled.
Inclement weather led to cancellation of live racing Monday at Pimlico and Thistledown racetracks.
High winds and a heavy rainstorm cancelled Wednesday's inner track opening day card at Aqueduct Race Track.
Weather forecasters have downgraded the chance of showers or thunderstorms in the Grand Prairie, Texas area to 20% for the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships at Lone Star Park Saturday afternoon.
The most heard word on the backside of Lone Star Park this week has been humidity. The weather has been warm but the sticky humidity has made it seem much hotter.
Live racing was cancelled Monday at Finger Lakes racetrack in Farmington, N. Y. due to weather conditions in the area over the past couple of days, according to a release from the track.
There is less than a 50-50 chance that Saturday's Preakness Stakes (gr. I) at Pimlico will be run over a wet track, as was the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) on May 1.
The rain arrived at Churchill Downs as predicted. About 4:10 p.m., nearly two hours before post time to the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) it began raining hard at Churchill Downs. The track turned sloppy in a matter of minutes
A severe thunderstorm watch was in effect until 10 p.m. EST Friday night in north central Kentucky, with showers and thunderstorms likely before 2 a.m., according to the National Weather Service report in Louisville.
The only thing that may change more between now and Kentucky Derby day than who is in and who is out of the race -- and be discussed as much -- is the weather forecast.
In anticipation of bad weather expected to hit New York on Friday, Aqueduct has already made the decision to close the track for live racing and simulcasting.
Turfway Park canceled live racing for Sunday, March 7, citing track conditions.
Once again citing track conditions compromised by fluctuating temperatures and resultant uneven thawing, Turfway Park has cancelled live racing for today, Saturday, Feb. 14. The track remains open for simulcasting.
Citing track conditions, Turfway Park canceled races 4-10 on Sunday's 10-race card. Three races were completed without incident. Racing is scheduled to resume Wednesday, February 11, at 5:30 p.m.
Aqueduct in New York and Laurel Park in Maryland have both canceled racing today (Feb. 6) because of ice and heavy rains in the northeast corridor of the United States.
Turfway Park's cancellation of live racing Saturday prompted racing officials to reschedule the featured $50,000 WEBN Stakes, which will be run next Saturday, Feb. 7.
Turfway Park has called off its Thoroughbred racing program for Friday night because of the cold weather. Temperatures at the Northern Kentucky track are expected to fall to the single digits this evening.
Turfway Park cancelled the last seven races on Thursday night's 10-race card due to cold temperatures.
Because of a deep freeze and snow expected to descend on the New York metropolitan area, live racing and simulcasting at Aqueduct has been cancelled for Thursday.
Extremely cold temperatures combined with high winds to put a halt to the live racing card at Aqueduct Jan. 9 after four of nine races had been run.
Because of this weekend's snowstorm, next Saturday's card at Laurel Park will feature three stakes races.
One day after leading to cancellation of the last two races at Hawthorne Race Course in Illinois, high winds also cancelled the Thursday card at New York's Aqueduct, Laurel Park in Maryland, and Woodbine in Canada.
Racing at Finger Lakes was cancelled Friday due to weather-related track conditions.
The blistering heat wave hitting the Southern California took a slight break Friday morning, but it wasn't good news for most Southern California residents and race fans at Santa Anita.
If Breeders' Cup history repeats itself at this year's World Thoroughbred Championships, bet on sunny weather and horses who have raced previously at Santa Anita.
It is hot at Santa Anita. But the local Chamber of Commerce must have put in a good word with someone because the forecast for the Oct. 25 Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships is for a high of 78 degrees.
With Hurricane Isabel poised to hit land late in the week of Sept. 15, Colonial Downs in Virginia has once again opened its barns to area horses that may have to seek safety from the storm.
Funny Cide, who won the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) impressively on an off track, will get his chance to become racing's 12th Triple Crown winner on a similar surface. The precipitation moved from a drizzle to a steady light rain at about 1:30 p.m. (EDT). Then it picked up intensity. The track is now rated sloppy. The sealed surface has considerable water standing on it.
The first order of business in New York on Belmont Stakes (gr. I) Day -- complain about the weather. The first raindrops began falling at 9 a.m., only about nine hours before forecasters predicted. Well, nothing new.
The New York area is under a flood watch from the National Weather Service as heavy rains have soaked the area since Tuesday night. Local forecasters have used words like "ugly" and "miserable" to describe Wednesday's forecast.
Funny Cide is likely to face six challengers when he tries to win the Belmont Stakes on Saturday and become the 12th Triple Crown champion.
Pimlico track superintendent John Passero said he is confident the racing surface will be fast Saturday for the middle leg of the Triple Crown. "If the rain stops," Passero said Friday.
Partly sunny skies and moderate temperatures are in the forecast in the Louisville region for Saturday's 129th running of the Kentucky Derby.
According to the 10-day forecast from The National Weather Service, it is a good thing we already know that Empire Maker can run on an off track.
An e-mail circulated to farm managers in the Central Kentucky area warns of shifting weather patterns for the coming weekend.
Citing poor track conditions, Turfway Park canceled the remainder of Monday's race card following the third race. Poor weather has also delayed opening of Aqueduct's main track.
- By Nick Hahn
While many Virginia horsemen were digging out from the President's Day weekend snowstorm, a bill to rework the Virginia Racing Act cleared the floor of the House of Delegates by a 54-42 vote.
Live racing at Oaklawn Park has been canceled for Thursday, Feb. 6..
Oaklawn Park, which was forced to postpone its opening weekend, has had to cancel another day of racing because of harsh weather conditions.
The arctic weather sweeping the country has caused Oaklawn to cancel its opening weekend. No races will be run Friday, Saturday, or Sunday because the racing surface at the Hot Springs, Ark., track is frozen. The track is open for simulcasting.
Aqueduct cancelled racing today prior to the second race. The decision was made because of weather conditions.
With the National Weather Service forecasting a winter storm that could dump up to 8 inches of snow on the East Coast, many of the region's racetracks cancelled live and simulcast racing Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist's BC Work Less Than Ideal
- California Chrome 'Fit' for BC After Work
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Beholder, Frosted Drill at Santa Anita
- Living The Life Retired, Won't Run in BC
- Rachel Alexandra Breeder Morrison dies
- Getting Started on Breeders' Cup Handicapping
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- Songbird Logs Final Breeze for Distaff
- Breeders' Cup Race Order, Wagering Options