The weather for Nov. 3, the second day of the Breeders' Cup World Championships at Santa Anita Park should be ideal.
Steve Haskin gives analysis on works for Game On Dude, Power Broker, Title Contender, and Dullahan. Steve also talks about Beholder, My Miss Aurelia and discusses the tale of two coasts. watch video
Breeders' Cup has a contingency plan in place for air transport of horses should an impending major storm in the Northeast cause problems, officials said Oct. 27.
Acting upon the recommendation of the Delaware Thoroughbred Racing Commission chief veterinarian Dr. John T. Peters, live racing at Delaware Park has been canceled for July 18 due to excessive heat.
A heat wave that has forced cancellations and delayed post times along the East Coast led Delaware Park to cancel live racing for July 7.
Churchill Downs has canceled live racing for June 28 because of predicted triple-digit temperatures.
- By Tom LaMarra
Unseasonably warm weather in February no doubt contributed to a 7.60% increase in wagering on United States races.
Lenny updates you from a soggy Churchill Downs on today's scratches, weather for Friday and Saturday as well as Steve Haskin honors. Sponsored by Taylor Made Stallions watch video
Several racetracks in the Mid-Atlantic region already have canceled racing and full-card simulcasts for Aug. 27-28 as Hurricane Irene heads up the East Coast from Florida and the Carolinas.
Add Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course in Grantville, Pa., to the list of tracks that have altered schedules due to the extreme heat. The track canceled its July 22 evening program.
The spirit of fraternity is what everyone will remember Read Blog
If the forecast is correct, Saturday's Belmont Stakes (gr. I) could be run over a wet track, a factor that will be considered by many handicappers.
Potential record-breaking heat causes NYRA to cancel racing June 9; forecast is for temperatures to drop off dramatically by Saturday's Belmont Stakes.
Indiana Downs near Shelbyville, Ind., sustained damage from a severe storm that ripped through the area May 26.
Tom Lamarra mentions Astrology, Mucho Macho Man, Dialed In, Dance City, Sway Away and provides weather information. Watch Video
Churchill Downs announced record attendance of 164,858 for the May 7 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) program.
Lenny briefs us on Comma to the Top, Jerry Moss & Zazu, Master of Hounds and the weather. Watch Video
If the long-range forecast is correct, rain on May 6 for the Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) will clear out and make way for a sunny Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) the following day.
High winds, with gusts reported between 45-55 miles per hour, forced the cancelation of live racing on Monday, Feb. 14, at Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course.
Weather and track conditions are forcing cancellations at Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course and Parx Racing, two Pennsylvania racetracks.
Sam Houston Race Park in Texas has canceled live night racing for Friday, Feb. 4, due to inclement winter weather.
Efforts by Oaklawn Park to resume live racing were dealt a setback by more snow in Arkansas on the morning of Feb. 4 and the tack has canceled racing for Feb. 5-6.
Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Ark., announced it has canceled its Thursday, Feb. 3, live racing program because of weather, but will remain open for simulcast racing and gaming.
An effort by Laurel Park to resume racing after two days of cancelations ended after the second race Friday, Jan. 28, due to unsafe track conditions.
Another winter storm has resulted in cancelation of live racing Thursday, Jan. 27, at Aqueduct in New York and Laurel Park in Maryland.
Another snowstorm scheduled to hit the Northeast Jan. 26 has prompted the New York Racing Association to accelerate post times for live racing at Aqueduct. Meanwhile, Laurel Park and Charles Town canceled live racing.
Aqueduct and Penn National canceled live racing for Jan. 21 because of a snowstorm moving through the Northeast.
Citing a developing winter storm, Turfway Park in Florence, Ky., and Oaklawn Park in Arkansas have canceled live racing for Thursday, Jan. 20.
Citing "lingering effects" from a six-inch snowfall last weekend and bitterly cold temperatures that have kept the track closed for training all week, Oaklawn Park has cancelled the Jan. 14 opening day of the 2011 meet.
A winter storm dumped about five inches of snow on Hot Springs, Ark., and forced the cancellation of training at Oaklawn Park Jan. 10, but improving conditions should produce temperatures in the 40s by opening day Jan. 14.
Portland Meadows in Oregon canceled live racing for Jan. 3-4 because of freezing temperatures in the area.
The first day of racing on Aqueduct's inner track that ushers in the winter meet has been delayed after the New York Racing Association announced live racing would be canceled Wednesday, Dec. 1.
Sub-freezing temperatures and the resulting track condition led Portland Meadows to cancel live racing for Nov. 23.
The weather forecast for Nov. 5, first day of the Breeders' Cup World Championships, got a bit more interesting with predictions of rain and snow showers from late in the evening of Nov. 4 through noon the following day.
Heavy rain and high winds from a storm moving up the East Coast led Belmont Park in New York to cancel live racing and full-card simulcasts for Sept. 30.
With a predicted temperature of 100 degrees and a slightly higher heat index, racetracks in the Northeast canceled or curtailed live racing programs.
The weather forecast for Preakness day looks good with sunshine and a high temperature in the mid- to upper 70s.
Pimlico Race Course could be hit by thunderstorms the afternoon and evening of May 14, but the forecast calls for dry, pleasant conditions for the May 15 Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
Despite inch upon inch of rain and a weather forecast that could have chased away patrons, the May 1 Derby more than held its own. Handle was up across the board.
As predicted, there was rain and no training at Churchill Downs on the morning of May 1, hours before the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
Aqueduct has canceled live racing for March 13 because of rain and wind. The Cicada Stakes (gr. III) has been rescheduled for March 20.
Two major snowstorms in less than a week led Charles Town Races & Slots to cancel live racing through Feb. 14.
Citing frigid temperatures and high winds, the New York Racing Association cancelled live racing at Aqueduct for Sunday, Jan. 3.
A large winter storm sweeping across the country producing snow and high winds has caused several tracks to cancel their race cards for Dec. 9.
Great weather is expected for the Breeders' Cup World Championships, which will air on ESPN2 Nov. 6, and ABC and ESPN on Nov. 7.
Monmouth Park canceled its live racing program Sept. 11 due to extreme winds and heavy rain.
A torrential rainstorm in the Louisville area Aug. 4 has wreaked havoc at Churchill Downs. Flooding caused several horses to be removed from the barn area, both the main track and infield are completely underwater, and employees at the racetrack were unable to get off the property for hours due to severe flooding in the parking lot and on many area roads.
The history of the track at Belmont Park is that is dries out quickly. According to the latest forecast, it will have about 17 hours to do so prior to the June 6 Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
Kentucky Derby day 135 dawned with a steady, sometimes heavy rain, and a temperature of 53 degrees in Louisville, Ky., on the morning of May 2.
The song says the sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home, but there is no sun shining Kentucky Oaks morning, and the weather is the big topic of conversation.
Most Popular Stories
- Stellar Wind 7-2 Choice for Oaks
- Wise Dan Back to Jogging on Track
- El Kabeir Walks Shedrow, Dortmund Gallops
- California Chrome Will Skip Lockinge Stakes
- Delaware Horse Racing Boosts State Economy
- Oxley Hopes Danzig Moon Follows Monarchos
- Haskin: Carpe Diem, Mubtaahij Test the Track
- American Pharoah Forges Way to Zayat's Heart
- Kentucky Derby News Update: April 28, 2015
- Nader Leaving Hong Kong, Will Return to U.S.