Winless in six starts since capturing last fall's Super Derby (gr. II), My Pal Charlie is the 120-pound high weight for the $300,000 Prairie Meadows Cornhusker Handicap (gr. II) on June 27.
This week, Jason and Tom analyze the Clark Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs on November 28. Also Brisnet's handicapping expert "The Wizard" gives his "Spotlight Play" for Fair Grounds Race 8 on November 28.
Team Valor International's Fairbanks moved into striking position around the far turn, burst to the front in upper stretch, and cruised to the wire a 2 3/4-length winner under Richard Migliore Sept. 27 in the $500,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. II) in Illinois.
Fairbanks, who enters off a resounding stakes victory at Saratoga last month, heads a field of seven older horses in the $500,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup Handicap (gr. II) Sept. 27, all of them hoping to establish themselves as a Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) contender.
Forty-two starts into his career, 6-year-old Wayzata Bay scored his first graded stakes win when he upset a good field in the $295,000 Prairie Meadows Cornhusker Handicap (gr. II) in Altoona, Iowa.
The Sept. 29 Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. II) will be a true test of the consistency of Student Council, who scored a stunning upset victory over champion Lava Man in the Aug. 19 Pacific Classic (gr. I) at Del Mar.
Most Popular Stories
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Nyquist Ships to Churchill Day After Work
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Uncle Lino Game in California Chrome Stakes
- Toews On Ice Glides to William Walker Win
- Exaggerator Works for Kentucky Derby Bid
- Dettori Strikes With 'Gold' in 2000 Guineas
- Alert Bay Holds Tough in San Francisco Mile
- Danzing Candy Logs Final Derby Breeze
- Ward Sends Three Fillies in Kentucky Juvenile