Star Cat celebrated his first winner when Purrpurrpurr posted a victory in her second start Aug. 23 in the fourth race, a maiden special weight at Indiana Downs.
Jockey Rodney Prescott won his 3,000th race Dec. 27 at Turfway Park aboard Heart of Class for owner Bud Wells and trainer Wayne Mogge.
Positive Response made the trip from California worthwhile for his connections with a dominant victory in the $100,000 John Battaglia Memorial Stakes for 3-year-olds at Turfway Park March 5.
Favored Inhisglory used a ground-saving trip to hang on for a head-bob at the wire by a nose over outsider Banjammer in the $50,000 Turfway Prevue Stakes Jan. 8 at Turfway Park.
Proud Heiress, rallying gamely seven paths wide for jockey Chantal Sutherland, nosed odds-on choice Tribal Belle at the wire in the $151,785 Whimsical Stakes (gr. III), the first graded stakes of Woodbine's season April 18.
The first pari-mutuel race on the new Polytrack at Turfway Park won't take place until Sept. 7, but the surface already has produced a stakes winner.
The feedback was much louder than the sound of hooves as Turfway Park unveiled its Polytrack surface with three "trial" races Wednesday morning.
The Polytrack racing surface at Turfway Park was installed two weeks ahead of schedule, but the sighs of relief by track officials may be short-lived as the Sept. 7 meet opener approaches. This is new territory, and questions abound, not the least of which is how horsemen and the betting public will respond.
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Kingman Wins Sussex with Dazzling Late Speed
- Federal Judge Dismisses Dutrow Lawsuit
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Thoroughbred Marketplace at Pimlico Oct. 4-5
- Colorado Voters to Decide on Racino Gaming
- CDI Gets 5-Year Contract with Saratoga Casino
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- Check Ligament Surgery Helps Racehorses with SDFT Injuries
- Coltimus Prime Rules Prince of Wales