B. Wayne Hughes' grade I-placed filly Watching You suffered a fracture of her right front leg during a workout at Hollywood Park on Saturday and will be out of action for at least six months.
In a battle of longtime training brothers, Mel Stute, 75, defeated Warren Stute, 81, when Buffythecenterfold edged favored Watching You by a nose Sunday in the $79,425 Santa Paula Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Santa Anita Park.
Composure will seek to avenge her loss to Elloluv in December's Hollywood Starlet in Sunday's $200,000 Las Virgenes (gr. I) at Santa Anita.
J. Paul Reddam's Elloluv rallied from the outside with Watching You through the stretch, pulling away in the late stages to capture the $150,000 Santa Ynez Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies at Santa Anita Monday.
Warren Stute was occupied mastering a new cell phone in his stable office in Barn 63 South at Hollywood Park on Thursday. For a trainer who some think is a contemporary of Alexander Graham Bell, the adaptation to the marvels of modern technology is no small feat.
Trainer Jay Robbins hopes to end 2002 with a bang when he sends out Tizalovelylady as a supplementary entry in the Hollywood Starlet (gr. I) for 2-year-old fillies at 1 1/16 miles Saturday.
Jockey Mike Smith and trainer Jenine Sahadi teamed up with the 2-year-old filly Puxa Saco to win Saturday's seven-furlong $100,000 Moccasin Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Podcast: Bob Baffert and the Breeders' Cup
- Kentucky Regulator Approves 2015 Race Dates
- Hollendorfer: Shared Belief Has 'Great' Work
- Trainer D'Amato's Success Long Time in Coming
- Raffetto Joins New England HPBA Effort
- CT Classic Could Move to Afternoon in 2015
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- Foreign Policy to Stand at River Oaks Farms
- O'Neill and Racing's Slow Regulatory Process