Volga, a mare with a history in the E.P. Taylor Stakes (Can-I), got the job done on her third try Sunday, winning the $750,000 turf test at Woodbine in a three-horse photo.
Seven imports were entered for Sunday's $750,000 E.P. Taylor Stakes (Can-I) for fillies and mares on the same Woodbine card as the Pattison Canadian International (Can-I).
Joseph Higgins' Dimitrova, ridden by Jerry Bailey, edged in front in deep stretch and drove to a one-length victory in the $750,000 Flower Bowl Invitational (gr. IT) over the German entry Walzerkoenigin Saturday at Belmont Park.
Sulamani, Sabiango, and Walzerkoenigin breezed at Belmont Wednesday. Storming Home withdrawn from the Turf Classic.
Arlington Park racing officials confirmed Thursday morning Tates Creek, the 5-2 morning line favorite for Saturday's $700,000 Grade I Beverly D. Stakes, and stablemate Bis Repetitas, a candidate for Saturday's $400,000 grade I Secretariat Stakes, have been scratched from their respective engagements.
Juddmonte Farms' uncoupled entrymates Tates Creek and Heat Haze, both conditioned by Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel, drew posts two and three, respectively, and figure as the ones to beat in Saturday's $700,000 Beverly D. (gr. IT) at Arlington Park. The race attracted a field of eight turf distaffers-all of international caliber.
Gestut Schlenderhan's Walzerkoenigin, the lone European invader for Saturday's Beverly D. Stakes (gr. IT), breezed five furlongs in 1:06 3/5 with the "dogs" well out from the rail on Tuesday at Arlington.
Walzerkoenigin, a 3-year-old daughter of Kingmambo, posted an upset victory over older horses when she won Sunday's Ernst & Young Euro-Cup (Ger-II) at Frankfurt, Germany.
Most Popular Stories
- Claimer Seeking the Sherif Reaches BC Sprint
- U.S. Juvenile Turf Fillies Await Euro Attack
- Bullet Move for Likely BC Juvenile Favorite
- Jockeys' Guild, RTCA Set Up Saez Family Fund
- Two-Time Champion Beholder Out of BC Distaff
- Grade I Winner Alterite to Arqana Sale
- Haskin: Time to Give Blame His Due
- Hillstar Shoots to Canadian International Win
- Just The Judge Earns E. P. Taylor Verdict
- Untapable Tops Worktab Sunday at Santa Anita