Walter Swinburn, who rode Shergar to victory in the 1981 Epsom Derby (Eng-I), died Dec. 12, according to reports. He was 55.
Walter Swinburn's Legendary (GB) attended the pace in the $200,000 Knickerbocker Stakes (gr. IIIT) and kicked clear to hold off 2-1 favorite Up With the Birds Oct. 11 at Belmont Park, collecting his first graded score.
Participants in U.S. and European racing, including some who trained for and worked closely with the late Sheikh Maktoum, have expressed surprise and sorrow over the prominent horse owner and breeder's death Wednesday of an apparent heart attack at age 62.
Most Popular Stories
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- First Black-type Winner for Freshman Havana Gold
- Hong Kong Champion Able Friend Retired
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park