Atto Mile (gr. IT) winner Good Journey, winner of the Atto Mile Stakes at Woodbine, worked a bullet six furlongs in 1:12.80 at Hollywood Park on Thursday in preparation for the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Arlington Park on Oct. 26.
Bare Necessities scored a convincing win in Friday night's $300,000 Indiana Breeders' Cup Oaks (gr. III) at Hoosier Park.
Good Journey wins the Atto Mile under Pat Day, as favored Noverre finishes sixth.
The 2002 Atto Mile has become truly international after Godolphin announced that their Group I winner, Noverre, will be making his next start at Woodbine in the $1 million event on Sunday, September 8.
Peter Vegso's Orchard Park, a winner in five of six starts this year, may merit favoritism in a well-matched group of seven sophomore grass specialists from both sides of the Atlantic Ocean assembled for Saturday's 26th renewal of the $400,000 Secretariat Stakes (gr. I) at Arlington Park.
Trainer Wally Dollase sends out Mananan McLir to capture the American Derby.
Horses coming from as close as the local backstretch will be joined in the starting gate by horses coming from as far as Ireland for Saturday's Arlington Classic, the first Grade II stakes race of the Arlington Park meet.
Big-time races for fillies and mares and marathons for grass stayers usually have zero impact in the countdown to the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I). There was, nevertheless, a million-dollar ring to both the $200,000 Santa Maria Handicap (gr. I) on Feb. 18 and the $200,000 San Luis Obispo Handicap (gr. IIT) the day before. By the time the weekend was in the books and the results began to sink in, the only thing anyone knew for sure was there really is nothing for sure.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- Queen of The Sand Rebounds in Santa Barbara
- Whiskey Ticket Wins IL Derby Like a Pro
- One Lucky Dane Off Derby Trail After Workout
- Hootenanny Successful in Season Debut
- Bodhisattva Gets Classic Credential in Tesio
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut
- Taketheodds, Russell Road Win at Charles Town
- Dortmund Records Bullet Work at Santa Anita