Calumet Farm's homebred Hence will attempt to get back to the winner's circle after two off-the-board finishes in the first two legs of the Triple Crown when he lines up against eight other sophomore colts in the $250,000 Iowa Derby (G3).
Running for the first time since a third behind Beholder and Songbird in the Nov. 4 Longines Breeders' Cup Distaff (G1), the 5-year-old took down her rivals with a strong late rally in the $200,000 Fleur de Lis Handicap (G2).
Multiple grade 1 winner and last year's Longines Breeders' Cup Distaff (G1) third place finisher Forever Unbridled is scheduled to return after seven months in the $200,000 Fleur de Lis (G2) at Churchill Downs June 17.
Janis Whitham homebred Walkabout secured her first stakes win when she rallied from ninth place and 15 1/2 lengths back under jockey Brian Hernandez Jr. to secure a neck victory in the $100,000 Matron Stakes (G3) May 20 at Churchill Downs.
The Elkstone Group's Indiana homebred Lady Fog Horn—the reigning Indiana Horse of the Year—sounded off against open company Nov. 24 at Churchill Downs with a 1 1/2-length triumph over Streamline in the $200,000 Falls City Handicap (gr. II).
- By Claire Novak
Board members of the Kentucky Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association did not discuss complaints from trainers regarding an Oaks/Derby ticket provision agreement between the Kentucky HBPA and Churchill Downs at their May 15 meeting as originally planned. Instead, the Kentucky HBPA will conduct an independent investigation into the matter.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Abel Tasman, Elate Exit CCA Oaks in Good Order
- Hard Aces Looks for Repeat in Cougar II
- Awesome Banner Posts Bullet Ahead of Vanderbilt