A rematch of last fall's Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint battle at Santa Anita between the victorious Ventura and champion filly Indian Blessing looms in the $300,000 Santa Monica Handicap (gr. I) Jan. 31. But after entries were taken Jan. 28, trainer Bob Baffert said he was unsure if Indian Blessing would run.
Upsetter Briecat used her speed to best advantage in Hollywood Park's $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) Dec. 7, turning back a challenge from even-money favorite Model in the homestretch and posting a 2 1/4-length front-running win.
Baroness Thatcher, reunited with trainer Patrick Biancone following her purchase a month ago for $1.8 million at the Keeneland November breeding stock sale, makes her next start in the $150,000 Bayakoa Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park Dec. 7.
Unbeaten Zenyatta will be looking for career win No. 8 when she takes the gate for the Lady's Secret Stakes (gr. I) Sept. 27 at Oak Tree at Santa Anita. The California-based runner will face four rivals, including grade I winner Hystericalady, in the 1 1/16-mile race.
Defending CashCall Mile (gr. IIT) winner Lady of Venice will be out for revenge when she takes on Ventura in the $750,000 event for fillies and mares at Hollywood Park July 5.
Lightmyfirebaby gained victory in the roughly contested $112,700 Las Cienegas Handicap (gr. III) when the front-running Bahama Mama ducked out severely on the synthetic main track portion of the hillside turf course at Santa Anita April 13, impeding three other horses.
Wake Up Maggie, an Irish-bred import from the United Kingdom making her first start in the U.S. for trainer Julio Canani, is the 119-pound high weight in the $100,000 Las Cienegas Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the hillside turf course at Santa Anita April 13.
Most Popular Stories
- Casino Could Negatively Impact Finger Lakes
- Musselman Drops Lawsuit Against Churchill
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Slideshow: Top 10 Races of 2014
- Disco Rico Euthanized After Laminitis Battle
- Marketer Voluntarily Recalls Equine Gastric Ulcer Product
- Horsemen, Suffolk Downs Continue Discussion
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Durkin to Receive Eclipse Award of Merit
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund