Sewickley, a dual grade I winner and sire, died July 10 in Marylandat the age of 28. According to his owner, the cause of death was complications due to colic.
Led by Godolphin Stable's Girolamo, a talented field of nine sprinters will all vie for their first grade I win in the $350,000 Vosburgh Invitational Oct. 2 at Belmont Park.
Battling saddlecloth-to-saddlecloth with Fabulous Strike through the final yards, a determined Black Seventeen, the longest shot in the field at 23-1, got a head in front at the wire to take the $400,000 Vosburgh Stakes (gr. I) over a sloppy Belmont Park surface in New York Sept. 27.
Fabulous Strike, one of the pre-race favorites for the $2 million TVG Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) Oct. 27 at Monmouth Park, will not make the race, trainer Todd Beattie said Oct. 11.
The $400,000 Vosburgh Stakes (gr. I) was billed as the return of multiple graded stakes winner Discreet Cat. Instead, it became Fabulous Strike's coming out party.
Several races with Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) implications were run last weekend. But the race featuring the marquee name in sprinting is still out there on the horizon.
Left Bank beat Squirtle Squirt by a half-length to win Saturday's $300,000 Vosburgh Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont Park, giving trainer Todd Pletcher and jockey John Velazquez their second stakes wins on the card.
Three 3-year-olds, including a pair of Todd Pletcher trainees, will race against older horses in the $300,000 Vosburgh Stakes (gr. I) Saturday at Belmont Park. 3-year-olds Trippi, More Than Ready, and Valiant Halory will be in receipt of a three-pound weight concession from the eight older horses entered, including A.G. Vanderbilt Handicap (gr. II) winner Successful Appeal.
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Breeder Berglar Earns Breeders' Cup Award