Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin's plans changed for two of his graded stakes-winning sprinters, Abraaj and Lucky Island, when the former suffered a slight setback that will force him to miss the $400,000 Vosburgh (gr. I) at Belmont Park Sept. 27.
Walter Downey's Pennsylvania-bred Fabulous Strike, an early favorite for last year's TVG Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) before a lung infection put an early end to his season, has recovered and will return to the track for trainer Todd Beattie at his Hollywood Casino at Penn National base.
In his final breeze for the Sept. 30 Vosburgh Handicap (gr. I) at Belmont Park, Discreet Cat worked five furlongs in 1:00.84 on Belmont's fast main track Sept. 24.
A busy slate of stakes contests coast-to-coast means plenty of television action for racing fans who seek couch potato status this weekend.
James & Dennis Richard's Bonapaw, winner of last Saturday's Vosburgh Handicap (gr. I) at Belmont Park, returned to the more familiar environs at Arlington Park Thursday to prepare for the NAPA Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) to be held at Arlington Oct. 26.
Susan Moore's Voodoo, nominated to Sept. 21's Vosburgh Handicap (gr. I) at seven furlongs, breezed three furlongs in :37 the morning of Sept. 18 for trainer Jimmy Jerkens on the training track.
Three-year-old Squirtle Squirt is on top of his game at the moment but to remain there he must hold off a talented pack of veteran sprinters in Saturday's grade I $300,000 Vosburgh Stakes at Belmont Park. The Vosburgh is one of four stakes on Saturday's 11-race program, which also includes the grade II Jerome Handicap, the grade III Noble Damsel and the Ashley Cole.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Aims to Give Summers First Win
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement