Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin's plans changed for two of his graded stakes-winning sprinters, Abraaj and Lucky Island, when the former suffered a slight setback that will force him to miss the $400,000 Vosburgh (gr. I) at Belmont Park Sept. 27.
Walter Downey's Pennsylvania-bred Fabulous Strike, an early favorite for last year's TVG Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) before a lung infection put an early end to his season, has recovered and will return to the track for trainer Todd Beattie at his Hollywood Casino at Penn National base.
In his final breeze for the Sept. 30 Vosburgh Handicap (gr. I) at Belmont Park, Discreet Cat worked five furlongs in 1:00.84 on Belmont's fast main track Sept. 24.
A busy slate of stakes contests coast-to-coast means plenty of television action for racing fans who seek couch potato status this weekend.
James & Dennis Richard's Bonapaw, winner of last Saturday's Vosburgh Handicap (gr. I) at Belmont Park, returned to the more familiar environs at Arlington Park Thursday to prepare for the NAPA Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) to be held at Arlington Oct. 26.
Susan Moore's Voodoo, nominated to Sept. 21's Vosburgh Handicap (gr. I) at seven furlongs, breezed three furlongs in :37 the morning of Sept. 18 for trainer Jimmy Jerkens on the training track.
Three-year-old Squirtle Squirt is on top of his game at the moment but to remain there he must hold off a talented pack of veteran sprinters in Saturday's grade I $300,000 Vosburgh Stakes at Belmont Park. The Vosburgh is one of four stakes on Saturday's 11-race program, which also includes the grade II Jerome Handicap, the grade III Noble Damsel and the Ashley Cole.
Most Popular Stories
- Del Mar Sets Plan to Solve Turf Course Issue
- Some Top Trainers Support Phasing Out Salix
- Indiana Sire Lantana Mob Gets First Winner
- WV Hires New Lab; Purse Money Still in Limbo
- Champion She's a Tiger Retired
- Tumor Side Effect Leads to Filly's Group I DQ
- Bertha Wright of Calumet Dynasty Dies at 94
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Illinois Tracks Seeking Fewer Dates in 2015
- Monmouth to Reduce Overnight Purses by 10%