Jerry Romans Jr.'s Sassy Image took over from Decelerator in upper stretch and pulled clear for a convincing 3 3/4-length score in the $163,200 Golden Rod (gr. II) on Nov. 28, as she swept the juvenile fillies stakes at the Churchill Downs fall meet.
It is doubtful another horse of Rachel Alexandra's caliber will come out of the 2009 "Stars of Tomorrow II" program, but one never knows, and that is good enough reason to watch the $150,000 Golden Rod and $150,000 Kentucky Jockey Club, for 2-year-old fillies and 2-year-old males, respectively.
Favored Sassy Image emerged with the lead past mid-stretch and pulled clear late to post her first stakes win by two lengths in the $115,900 Pocahontas (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies on opening day of the Churchill Downs 21-day fall meet Nov. 1.
Grade I winner Roman Ruler, whose first two winners won outside the United States, was represented by three winners in the U.S. July 5.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion She's a Tiger Retired
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks