Jerry Romans Jr.'s Sassy Image took over from Decelerator in upper stretch and pulled clear for a convincing 3 3/4-length score in the $163,200 Golden Rod (gr. II) on Nov. 28, as she swept the juvenile fillies stakes at the Churchill Downs fall meet.
It is doubtful another horse of Rachel Alexandra's caliber will come out of the 2009 "Stars of Tomorrow II" program, but one never knows, and that is good enough reason to watch the $150,000 Golden Rod and $150,000 Kentucky Jockey Club, for 2-year-old fillies and 2-year-old males, respectively.
Favored Sassy Image emerged with the lead past mid-stretch and pulled clear late to post her first stakes win by two lengths in the $115,900 Pocahontas (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies on opening day of the Churchill Downs 21-day fall meet Nov. 1.
Grade I winner Roman Ruler, whose first two winners won outside the United States, was represented by three winners in the U.S. July 5.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale