Jerry Romans Jr.'s Sassy Image took over from Decelerator in upper stretch and pulled clear for a convincing 3 3/4-length score in the $163,200 Golden Rod (gr. II) on Nov. 28, as she swept the juvenile fillies stakes at the Churchill Downs fall meet.
It is doubtful another horse of Rachel Alexandra's caliber will come out of the 2009 "Stars of Tomorrow II" program, but one never knows, and that is good enough reason to watch the $150,000 Golden Rod and $150,000 Kentucky Jockey Club, for 2-year-old fillies and 2-year-old males, respectively.
Favored Sassy Image emerged with the lead past mid-stretch and pulled clear late to post her first stakes win by two lengths in the $115,900 Pocahontas (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies on opening day of the Churchill Downs 21-day fall meet Nov. 1.
Grade I winner Roman Ruler, whose first two winners won outside the United States, was represented by three winners in the U.S. July 5.
Most Popular Stories
- A Look Back at Gallant Fox's Arlington Classic
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- CHRB Discusses Creating Single California Circuit
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Asmussen Earns $50,000 Preakness Weekend Bonus
- The Greatest Performance No One Has Seen
- Enola Gray, Illuminant Look Strong in Monrovia Field
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million