Grade III winner Kid Cruz, most recently fourth in the Travers Stakes (gr. I), is having surgery to remove a chip from his left knee and will miss the rest of the year, trainer Linda Rice said Aug. 29 from Saratoga.
Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II) runner-up Tonalist and third-place finisher Kid Cruz both came out of the July 26 race well, and their respective trainers confirmed they will point to the Travers Stakes (gr. I).
Recent classic starter Kid Cruz reeled in entrymate and pacesetter Captain Serious in deep stretch to win the $196,000 Dwyer Stakes (gr. III) in the final strides July 5 at Belmont Park.
Kid Cruz, a two-time stakes winner in Maryland earlier this year, has been withdrawn from consideration for the June 7 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), trainer Linda Rice said after consultation with his owners.
Each time Steven Brandt would acquire a new horse, his mother Shirley would respond somewhat skeptically, "Oh, no, you didn't spend more money on horses." Until he bought Kid Cruz, that is.
Former claimer Kid Cruz cemented his classic credentials April 19 when posting a dominant victory in the $100,000 Federico Tesio Stakes at Pimlico Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Sam's Sister Stuns Taris in Quick La Brea
- Alert Bay Wins Mathis Brothers Mile Thriller
- California Chrome is Vox Populi Award Winner
- Prado 'Day to Day' After Gulfstream Spill
- Spotted Heart Upsets MD Filly Championship
- New York Stallion Series On Tap at Aqueduct
- Leave the Light On for Storm Cat
- Nine-Month Suspension Recommended for Veitch
- Salutos Amigos Adds Gravesend Stakes Victory