Vina Del Mar Thoroughbreds and Black Swan Stable's Kid Cruz will look to win his third straight stakes June 11 in the $400,000 Brooklyn Invitational (gr. II).
Favored at odds of 3-2 in a five-horse field, the 5-year-old son of Lemon Drop Kid wore down 9-5 second choice Madefromlucky to take the 1 1/4-mile test in 2:04.52.
Grade III winner Kid Cruz, most recently fourth in the Travers Stakes (gr. I), is having surgery to remove a chip from his left knee and will miss the rest of the year, trainer Linda Rice said Aug. 29 from Saratoga.
Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II) runner-up Tonalist and third-place finisher Kid Cruz both came out of the July 26 race well, and their respective trainers confirmed they will point to the Travers Stakes (gr. I).
Recent classic starter Kid Cruz reeled in entrymate and pacesetter Captain Serious in deep stretch to win the $196,000 Dwyer Stakes (gr. III) in the final strides July 5 at Belmont Park.
Kid Cruz, a two-time stakes winner in Maryland earlier this year, has been withdrawn from consideration for the June 7 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), trainer Linda Rice said after consultation with his owners.
Each time Steven Brandt would acquire a new horse, his mother Shirley would respond somewhat skeptically, "Oh, no, you didn't spend more money on horses." Until he bought Kid Cruz, that is.
Former claimer Kid Cruz cemented his classic credentials April 19 when posting a dominant victory in the $100,000 Federico Tesio Stakes at Pimlico Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Business as Usual for J Boys Echo in Derby Breeze
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Espinoza Wins First Race After HOF Announcement
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work
- BloodHorse.com Launches BackTrack Channel
- Vexatious Stands Out in Oaks Move